Sailing shows well in R.I., Conn.

Following in step with the rest of the Big Green sports brigade, this weekend was once again successful for the Dartmouth sailing team.

The coed team showed their mettle at the Sherman Hoyt Trophy, taking A-division by storm while the women's team found itself ranked second nationally after qualifying for the Atlantic Coast Championships at Connecticut College.

The indomitable team of Erik Storck '07 and Killarney Loufek '07 sailed past the competition this weekend at Brown and the Hoyt Trophy, winning A-division in this weekend's Intersectional Regatta by 11 points.

Most regattas come down to the wire, with victors being decided by one to two points or even tie-breakers; a team that is consistently triumphant by such a wide margin is rare indeed, especially when competing in 13 races in a fleet composed of 18 dominate teams from around the nation.

Sailors Ben Sampson '08 and Christina Duncan '06 had a little more trouble with this weekend's cold, rainy winds, but still posted a respectable eigth place in B-division, earning Dartmouth an overall finishing spot of third place, just one point behind second-place finisher Yale and seven points behind the Coed National Rankings leader, Boston College.

The Dartmouth women faired equally well in the Stu Nelson Regatta at Connecticut College, finishing in third place and earning a spot in the Atlantic Coast Championships at Coast Guard in November. Dartmouth earned its spot along with second place finisher Harvard, both just behind the Women National Rankings leader, Yale.

Team Captain Emily East '06 and Kate Hacker '07 worked through 15 races to snatch a second place finish in A-division, while Adele Wilhelm '08 and Betsy Bryant '08 tussled with 16 other teams to bring home a third place in B-division.

Not to be outdone, coed co-captain Todd Whitehead '06 sailed with Laura Sheinkopf '07 to a second place finish in A-division at the George Warren Smith Trophy hosted at MIT this Saturday. B-division was rounded out by James Attridge '07 and Kendall Reiley '09 who thrashed to a fourth-place finish, propeling Dartmouth into second place.

Dartmouth continued its charge on Sunday as the Smith Trophy team returned to MIT, this time joined by Karl Johnson '06 and Case Hathaway-Zepeda '09 for the Rudolph Oberg Trophy race. The teams placed a formidable fourth in A-division, fifth in B-division, and fourth in C-division.

The Big Green will push forth with its assault on New England sailing next weekend, with regattas at MIT and in New Haven, Conn.