Latino adviser returns after stint in Texas

Alex Hernandez-Siegel, assistant dean of student life and adviser to Latino students, returned to his position this week after spending three months at a college in southern Texas, where he initially intended to fill a permanent post.

Hernandez-Siegel left Dartmouth after holding his advising position part-time for three years and full-time for the past four years. He received a master's degree from the College in 1999.

"I love my job here -- that wasn't the issue. The place is like family to me and the students are the best I've ever worked with. I saw an opportunity to work with some students in Texas, but I really feel that we could do a lot of things here too," Hernandez-Siegel said.

Carlos Mejia '08, who maintained an advising relationship with Hernandez-Siegel since meeting him during a visit to the College before he enrolled, said he was sad to see the adviser leave.

"Like many people when he left, I of course respected his decision to go on to a new place, but it was with a very heavy heart," he said.

In his search for Hernandez-Siegel's replacement, Tommy Lee Woon, associate dean of student life for pluralism and leadership, formed a committee and collected opinions from Hispanic students. As the search committee was starting to review applications, Hernandez-Siegel contacted the College regarding a possible rehire.

The rehire was prompted by Hernandez-Siegel's decision that his new institution was not a good fit for him, Woon wrote in a BlitzMail message to the Hispanic student community.

"I thought it was something that I would give a try," Hernandez-Siegel said about his stint in Texas. "I wanted to give the students there the opportunities that students here have."

Woon said he was confident in his decision to rehire Hernandez-Siegel rather than look for a new replacement.

"After considering the opinions of the search committee and other colleagues while keeping student feedback in mind, I concluded that Alex's reappointment was our best option," Woon said. "We are pleased to be able to welcome Alex back."

Hispanic students, many whom were involved in the search process for a new adviser, expressed approval of Hernandez-Siegel's return.

"I feel like he's just really happy to be back at Dartmouth. The people that I've spoken to are really happy that we have a Latino adviser again," Amelia Alvarez '08 said.

In his post at the College, Hernandez-Siegel works with students who have academic and personal concerns, helps the Office of Residential Life to run the Latin American, Latino and Caribbean Studies House and aids the admissions office with Latino recruitment.

"My priority is really promoting the Latino community and the student community here to realize their best potential," Hernandez-Siegel said.

Hernandez-Siegel's position was created 10 years ago and became part of the Office of Pluralism and Leadership three years ago when the Student Life Office consolidated a variety of advisers and directors.