Clarke takes reins of Tuck admissions

As applications for the Tuck School of Business' Class of 2008 roll in, there is a new director of admissions at the helm. Dawna Clarke joined Tuck's Admissions Office this fall from the University of Virginia's Darden School of Business.

Following the school's early action deadline last week, the admissions committee has started reviewing applications. Clarke said she is pleased with the quality of the applicants and noted a marked increase in the number of applications compared to previous years.

Several publications rank Tuck at the top of the nation's business schools. The school was ranked third by The Economist and first by The Wall Street Journal this year.

"Because the rankings are such a strong source of objective information, they will have a tremendous effect on recruiting efforts, in terms of both quality and quantity," Clarke said.

Overseeing the selection process and compiling the entering class is only one of Clarke's duties as admissions director. She also recruits applicants, markets the school and convinces accepted students to enroll.

Clarke brings years of experience to Tuck's admissions office. She served as the director of admissions for five of her 15 years at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia and as an associate director of admissions for three years at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's Kenan-Flagler School of Business.

Tuck's prestigious reputation and dedicated students attracted Clarke to to the school, she said.

"Over the years when I was at Darden, I had a lot of respect for Tuck's program and the people I knew as colleagues there," Clarke said. "I viewed it as a higher caliber institution that is more committed to putting resources into admissions."

Clarke, whose father is a Dartmouth graduate, said she has long held a sentimental connection to the College, New Hampshire and New England.

"Tuck has really surpassed my expectations," Clarke said. "I knew there was a strong community, but until you're actually here you don't understand the depth of the community. I worked at four institutions before Tuck but never saw as much school spirit anywhere. It's contagious."

Clarke is making structural changes within the admissions office. She has changed the way staff members are assigned applicants -- now, each admissions officer presides over a specific geographic area.

Clarke hopes to recruit more graduates of Tuck's Business Bridge Program, a summer program that teaches business skills to rising and graduating seniors from liberal arts programs. She said she is often impressed with the caliber of these students, some of whom are Dartmouth students and all of whom are not business majors, and wants to actively recruit them for the MBA program.

The admissions process continues with deadlines on Dec. 1, Jan. 12 and April 10. While the Oct. 17 deadline was aimed at students with Tuck as their first choice, candidates receive equal consideration at each deadline.

Clarke is excited to continue working with students and alumni during the busy admissions season.

"I'm just so impressed with how much people love the school," Clarke said.