Seniors stress out over Sat. LSATs

Standardized tests have once again become a part of the lives of many seniors, who will skip Friday night's dance parties to rest up for the 9 a.m. Law School Admission Test Saturday morning.

The vast majority of students will take the LSAT only once, students said. Many law schools discourage applicants from taking multiple tests by averaging their scores. The $115 administration fee also deters some students from trying to raise their scores in a second try.

Many students who are unsure of their future careers said they are applying to law school because it will open up many possibilities for their futures.

"There are so many different facets of the law and different ways to make an impact on society," Edy Wilson '06 said.

Planning for graduate school and taking the LSAT can start at a surprisingly early date, as many students want to see their LSAT scores before deciding what opportunities to pursue.

Catharine Birtley '06 took the LSAT last spring.

"I had an off term and was working on campus. I was also able to take the test in the afternoon instead of the morning," Birtley said.

The test preparation industry has impacted almost all of those taking the test. Books, software and even private tutors have become common methods for preparing for the test, students said.

"I met with an LSAT tutor over the summer. For the month after my summer job ended and before coming back to Dartmouth I was pretty disciplined," Lynda Tricarico '06 said. "I also came back to campus later than most of my friends because I knew once I got back to Dartmouth I would be more distracted."

Career Services does not directly endorse any specific method of preparation, but they do offer their own pre-law advising and strongly recommend that students take a timed diagnostic test before going into the real thing.

"Many of our students are successful preparing on their own without a course and don't feel the need to take a course to succeed on the test," said Karen Whittet, the College's pre-law advisor.

Many students, however, take advantage of prep courses taught on campus.

"I'm planning on taking a Kaplan prep course, and I heard from various sources that it was helpful," Wilson said.

Some students caution that it is necessary to alter patterns of partying in the weeks leading up to the LSAT.

"I've avoided the basement scene as much as possible. Dartmouth has a wonderful social atmosphere, but you can get caught up in going out, hanging out with your friends and playing pong," Brian Martin '06 said. "If you do get caught up in it you're liable to regret it when studying for the LSATs."

Although LSAT studying has taken over some students' free time, others have not found their social lives drastically altered by the looming test.

"Taking the LSATs hasn't affected my social life very much. I haven't been able to go to Cricket practices this fall, not that I've ever been, but I would have liked to." Justin Brownstone '06 said.

The test consists of five 35-minute sections with one trial section and a 30-minute essay. Like the SAT, photo identification is required for admission to the LSAT. But students taking the LSAT must also prove their identity by having their thumbprints taken at the door.

Although not administered through Dartmouth, the test will take place in 104 Wilder Hall.

Dartmouth hires an independent contractor to administer the test. The contractor refused requests for comment, citing student confidentiality.

Come Saturday night there will be a lot of relieved seniors looking to let off some steam as their long months of studying have finally come to a close.

Students will receive their scores via e-mail on Oct. 24, according to the website of the Law School Admission Council.