Editors Note

You're almost there. The smell of freshly cut grass on the Green and colorful foliage that is changing far too early in September will surround you before you know it. Welcome to Dartmouth!

Freshman fall is unlike any other term at this school. Most of you will first arrive on campus in the dubious haze of Freshmen Trips, where crazy upperclassmen dressed in wild costumes encourage you to dance the Salty Dog Rag, extending your "comfort zone" past limits you never imagined. A few days in the wilderness of New Hampshire and you'll most likely return with the Alma Mater tattooed on your brain.

Many upperclassmen recall DOC trips and orientation week as the period of bliss before classes started, when the Dartmouth experience began to be realized. From there, Fall term introduces freshmen to old traditions, new friends, hard work and harder play.

Take advantage of every moment! Oh, you'll hear this day-in, day-out for your first year and beyond, but don't let freshman year pass without acting on this important advice. As sophomores who find their second year quickly approaching conclusion, we can promise you that awkwardly saying goodbye to the 'rents for the first time does not feel long ago at all.

Get involved on campus as soon as you can -- doing so will immerse you into the vibrant College community and give you a sense of purpose outside of classes. Join the crew team on a whim, write for The Dartmouth, help build the bonfire, fight for justice in the Darfur region or create some new funky club that will establish you among the vanguard of campus celebrities. Whatever it is you do, take advantage of the vast resources this College offers to you and explore new areas. Whether you find your "niche" right away, or stumble upon the geography department after ending initial thoughts of being a pre-med, with a little searching, Dartmouth seems to provide a place for everyone.

This freshman issue of The Dartmouth will provide you with a glimpse into the world you are about to enter. From the College's history to descriptions of residence halls to our very own vernacular, we hope to welcome you to what we only half-jokingly call "The Dartmouth Bubble."

You will soon realize that, whether you criticize the College constantly or bleed Big Green, Dartmouth is part of you, just as you are a part of this hallowed institution.

Enjoy the end of summer (seriously) and we'll see you in the fall!