Bring Back Court Neutrality

To the Editor:

In his Thursday column ("Off the Bench and Into the Fire," July 7), Mr. Sinai wrote the following in regard to the upcoming senatorial battle over the next Supreme Court Justice:

"If voters consistently elect Republican presidents and senators, they can logically expect conservative judges to take the bench. President Bush said as much during his re-election campaign last year.

In all probability, though, the confirmation debate looming ahead will not be what the American people should reasonably expect based on last November's results. Instead, it will degenerate into a mad effort by a wayward party to force its waning relevance upon the majority of the American electorate."

"Consistently Republican" voting does not in any way mandate consistent Republican nominations for the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court was reserved (in part by his beloved Thomas Jefferson) to be the one branch unaffected by partisanship. They are to make decisions by making constitutional comparisons.

Furthermore, I'd like to remind him that President Bush was only elected by a mere 51 percent. To call the Democratic Party wayward, to call the voice of 49 percent of voting Americans wayward, is the only truly wayward thought in Mr. Sinai's column.