Use with Caution and Tact

Third floor Berry. 8:22 p.m. Finals. I could not dream up a more beautiful sonata. Kresge gym. 4:36 p.m. The elliptical, the weights, the stretching mat. Gobs of makeup, a small ear accessory and a high pitched chirp. What a natural combination. Over the past four years, cell phone use on the Dartmouth campus has risen exponentially. In classrooms, at the library and in the gym, students abuse these handy devices hourly. They fail to turn them off during lectures. They answer calls in the middle of conversations. They squeal into them, "Oh my GOD! He said what? Really?"

In this well-educated community, the sheer ignorance of the blatant rudeness is disheartening. Are these people oblivious? Do they just not care? When I first came to Dartmouth, someone talking on a cell phone was an oddity. Now it is difficult to find a sanctuary free of the clown-like ditties and people shouting into the silver gadgets. My freshman year, the biggest complaint about cell phones was inadequate cell phone coverage. Perhaps the lack of reception at the College was a blessing in disguise -- without the signal, it is rather difficult to sport the fashion accessory.

During the summer of 2003, free long distance came to campus dormitories. The service promised to curb cell phone usage. With free calling and BlitzMail, communication at the College would be easier and cheaper. Yet with each incoming class, the trend shows no signs of subsiding.

I wonder: Who are these people talking to and why? What could be so urgent to warrant the use of cell phones in inappropriate settings? Libraries and even some professors have established guidelines regarding cell phone use. Let's join them. In an effort to bring common courtesy to the oblivious, we'll set some ground rules: Do not use cell phones in the library. Do not use them during class. Do not answer them in the middle of conversations. Turn off the devices when they may cause a disruption. Perhaps I am in the minority. Perhaps I should welcome the invasion. Perhaps the people wielding the devices are important (they must be -- they are receiving a phone call). Important people have important conversations. (See the example above). Perhaps I should accept these indiscretions graciously.

Maybe it's even time for me to leap out of the Stone Age and buy into the latest fashion trend. I, too, could feel special when my phone plays "Fur Elise" during the middle of Genetics. I, too, could shout my weekend plans into the device at the library for all to hear. And what better way to occupy myself during the middle of an intense workout at the gym? If so many people have jumped on the cell phone bandwagon, then it must be great. Let me start practicing now:"Are you serious? No wayGet out! GET OUT!" Finally, I agree. Get out.