Palaeopitus inducts 20 rising seniors into ranks

Twenty rising seniors might want to practice their spelling after their induction into Palaeopitus, the easily misspelled senior society charged with representing the student body to administrators and fostering discussion among campus groups.

Each year, the group's 20 current members select a heterogeneous group of interested juniors. The group, which was established over 100 years ago, advises College deans and President Wright.

The inductees for the Class of 2006 are the following: Alexandra Amrhein, Sasha Acher, Diana Arias, Fernando Ausin, Colin Barry, Anthony Bramante, Echo Brown, Marie Choi, Mike Guzman, Libby Hadzima, Brad Heritage, Sam Jackson, Jen Krimm, Russ Lane, Mats Lemberger, Hema Mohan, Justin Neiman, Noah Riner, Stephanie Whisnant and Edy Wilson.

Amrhein is the business manager of The Dartmouth, while Barry is its president.

Four of the membership spaces are ex-officio spots that are offered to individuals because of positions they hold on campus. Riner is Student Assembly president, Barry is the president of The Dartmouth, Krimm is the president of the Class of 2006 and Brown is the intern at the Office of the President.

Kate Schuerman '05, one of the current co-moderators, praised the quality and diversity of the new inductees.

"This year's group is fantastic," Schuerman said. "They come from all parts of campus and have been involved in many extraordinary activities and demonstrated incredible leadership."

Palaeopitus organized this spring's Staff Appreciation Week, the Party at Parkhurst in the fall, and a series of coffee talks on campus issues during the winter.

The group receives nominations from students for themselves or other classmates and chooses 16 students from that pool. Schuerman said this year's process was "far more difficult than we had imagined."

"When you only have 16 slots, you have to make some really difficult choices," she said.

Members of the Class of 2006 delegation demonstrated excitement for the upcoming year.

"I'm obviously very honored and excited about my induction in Palaeopitus," Theta Delta Chi President and member of the varsity lacrosse team, Brad Heritage '06, said. "As a member of Palaeopitus, I would like to improve and enhance the relationship between the administration and undergraduates. I feel like this is an important relationship that has been eroding over time and needs to be rebuilt efficiently and effectively."