Verbum Ultimum

The College's newly announced technological initiatives integrating video, voice and data deserve commendation. A commitment to innovation has played a central role in Dartmouth's history -- the College has been on the forefront of the information age since the development of BASIC here in 1964.

The "convergence" of different media creates a number of exciting possibilities, but also raises important questions. First, the new technology will provide a greater variety of means of learning -- enabling students to watch a play for an English class anywhere on campus, conduct interactive study sessions and make up for missed classes. Second, the project brings Dartmouth positive national exposure, benefitting our image. Third, it may save the College money in the long run by reducing the cost of future upgrades. The availability of television over the College network will also provide students with greater opportunities to procrastinate -- we'll be able to watch "The O.C." even while huddled in a carrol in Baker Stacks.

New communications initiatives, however, make us wonder if perhaps we are too reliant on technology. If we focus exclusively on the latest gadgets, we run the risk of subordinating timeless learning to needless digitization. The strength of the College lies in providing a classical liberal arts education. Though lectures broadcast over the Internet may be innovative, some uses of technology demean important aspects of a broad-based education like personal interaction and discussion.

With this in mind, we hope the College stays committed to providing the nation's best undergraduate education. Though technological innovation is important, Dartmouth must keep track of its priorities. The ability to watch television on a laptop computer on the Green seems inadequate consolation for undergraduates who may be unable to enroll in rhetoric classes next academic year. The College should affirm its commitment to a quality liberal arts education that strongly emphasizes speaking and writing.