Give More Credit to Moneyball

In Tim Mosso's column ("Billy Beane's use of 'Moneyball' tactics fails to propel A's," May 27), Mosso clearly does not understand the "Moneyball" philsophy. The point that Michael Lewis' bestselling book made was that statistics should be used to counter traditional scouting views that athletic "tools" were the only way to judge players.

While the Oakland Athletics may currently be in last place, they are not playing badly because they follow the "Moneyball" strategy.

Also, this is a rebuilding year for the Oakland A's, and whether Billy Beane's strategy will succeed will not be apparent for another few years, when his "Moneyball" players reach the majors.

Furthermore, Mosso's article has some factual mishaps. He stated that Billy Beane "passed on Scott Kazmir," when in fact Kazmir was drafted before Billy Beane ever made a draft pick that year. Therefore he could not have "passed" on Kazmir.

Mosso also takes on Beane for passing on Ben Sheets, who has turned into an All-Star caliber pitcher. Mosso neglects to point out that Beane passed up Sheets for Barry Zito, a pitcher who has made an All-Star team in his own right, and won the 2002 Cy Young award as the best pitcher in the American League.

The correct argument is that both scouting methods (traditional and statistical) have merit and should be used in tandem.

There is something to the human eye that statistics cannot tell us, but then again, sometimes we see what we want to see. No human is infallible.