Dartmouth's finest ready for Heps

Only a handful of Dartmouth runners competed at last weekend's Penn Relays. The rest of the team stayed in Hanover in eager anticipation for the Outdoor Heptagonal Championship next weekend.

Senior standout Brian McCarthy '05 took fourth in the high jump with a 6-8.25 leap at the Penn Relays, marginally missing the top three. McCarthy is currently ranked sixth in the Ivy League going into the Outdoor Heptagonal.

McCarthy is the defending high jump champion at the Outdoor Heps and finished second at the Indoor Heptagonal Championship this winter.

Dartmouth enters the Outdoor Heptagonal in great shape. Mike Carmody '08 currently has the third fastest time in the 800-meter run and the fourth fastest time in the 400-meter dash.

"Mike Carmody has been amazing in the 800-meters all year and I really think he might be able to pull out a win at the Heps," Kelsey Wiegmann '06 said.

In the 3000-meter run, Harry Norton '08 leads the League with a time of 8:35.35. Teammates Jeff Englehutt '07 and Bart van Veghel '06 have the third and fourth fastest time in the event.

In the 10,000-meter run, junior Dave Burnham '06 holds the third fastest time in the League.

"David Burnham has provisionally qualified for NCAAs and will run the ridiculously long 25 lap 10,000m. He has the bitter attitude to last the hell that is the 10k," McCarthy said.

Mustafa Abdur-Rahim '04 is ranked second in the 110-meter hurdles. Abdur-Rahim also holds the fourth best attempt in the long jump and the highest score in men's decathlon.

In field events, Matt Brown '05 and Robert Kerris '07 have the third and fourth farthest throws in the shot put. Kerris and Brown are also ranked third and fourth in the discus.

In the hammer throw, Mike Mozer '05, indoor Heptagonal Champion, goes into the meet with the third longest throw. Classmate John Moran '05 holds the fifth best throw overall.

Sean Furey '05 tops the list in men's javelin with a 241-2 throw. "Heps is an exciting, unpredictable meet and people can come out of the woodwork with huge performances and upset heavy favorites, so rankings mean next to nothing," Furey said. "However, I am extremely excited to compete at my last Ivy Championship meet and I look forward to inspiring my team by starting off the first day of competition with a big statement."

In the decathlon, Abdur-Rahim '04 and Tyler Koskenoja '07 are ranked first and third.

On the women's side, Jadah Chatterton-Richmond '07 is ranked fifth in the 100-meter hurdles while older sister Matthan Chatterton Richmond '06 holds the third best attempts in long jump and eighth in the triple jump.

In the high jump, Wiegmann and Tessa Clare '05 hold the second and third best jumps in the Ancient Eights. Wiegmann holds the best performances in the javelin and the heptathlon.

Wiegmann recently broke the school's javelin record at the Mt. Sac Relays with a 147-11 throw, shattering Brooke Derham's '02 146-8 mark.

In the shot put, Carmen Springer '07 holds the fourth best throw while classmate Lilly Bertz '07 is ranked fifth going into the meet after she cleared 11-6.5 in the pole vault at last weekend's Dartmouth Invitational.

Six Dartmouth athletes made the top seven spots in the women's heptahlon. Wiegmann tops the list while teammates Matthan Chatterton-Richmond '06, Jadah Chattertond Richmond '07, Cassandre Tanner '08, Kara Pydynkowski '08 and Micaela Carwell '08 rank third through seventh in the event.

The Outdoor Heptagonal Championship is the meet that Dartmouth has been training for since the beginning of the indoor season and the last chance for Big Green seniors to compete against League rivals in a major competition. The team looks to stun opponents and repeat last year's performance.