Celebration of Athletic Excellence honors nine students

Dartmouth honored nine student-athletes on Monday at the annual Dartmouth Celebration of Athletic Excellence. The eclectic awards went to a combination of junior and senior members of the College's varsity squads and to students who exhibited overflowing passion for recreational sports or exercise.

Lee Stempniak '05, captain of the Big Green men's hockey team, won the Kenneth Archibald Prize, an award for the best all-around student athlete at Dartmouth. Stempniak is the fourth most prolific scorer in Dartmouth history with 151 points, which includes 63 goals and 88 assists. Stempniak is also a two-time All-American honoree -- the first Big Green player to earn first team All-American status in 15 years for the 2003-2004 season -- a three-time Academic All-ECACHL and Academic All-Ivy selection.

"I truly had no idea who was going to win the award, and I had no experience going into the evening," Stempniak said. "I was extremely happy to just be nominated and recognized in the same group as the other nominees who are all equally deserving of the award."

"I was very happy to win the award, and it was a great honor to be chosen by the coaches in the Athletic Department," the economics major added.

The Big Green hockey captain also won the Alfred E. Watson Trophy -- given to the outstanding male athlete of the year -- in addition to the Archibald Prize. The senior was a first team All-Ivy and All-ECACHL selection in each of the last two seasons.

"I'd like to thank my teammates who have made all of this possible," Stempniak said. "Winning an individual award is only possible by playing on a great team, and I've had the privilege of playing all four years with great players who made me a better player."

Women's lacrosse captain Katieanne Christian '05 won the Class of 1976 Award for outstanding female athlete of the year. The Agawam, Mass., native was an Ivy League Co-Player of the Year and the leading scorer for the Big Green with 65 goals and 70 points. Christian also helped the team to an unblemished 7-0 Ivy record and a spot in the NCAA semifinals.

Christian is a member of the U.S. Development team and is a finalist for the prestigious Tewaaraton Award, which is presented to the top women's lacrosse player in the country. Christian is also an All-American first team selection.

Classmates David Burnham '06 and Alison Crocker '06 won the Class of 1948 Scholar-Athlete Award -- given to one male and one female member of the junior class who demonstrate outstanding performance in athletics and significant achievement in academics. Burnham is a member of the cross country team, while Crocker excelled on the nordic skiing team.

Elizabeth Peacock-Villada '05, a member of the cross country and track and field teams, was awarded the Class of 1950 Award, which honors a varsity student-athlete who demonstrated the most exceptional commitment to community service. The committed senior was recently named an Arthur Ashe, Jr. Sports Scholar for 2005.

The Timothy Wright Ellis Memorial Award went to Mike Liddy '05 of the men's basketball team. The award is given to a male student who showed qualities of extracurricular and scholastic drive, spirit, loyalty and amiability that made Ellis such an integral part of the Dartmouth community.

Devon Wills, a junior member of the women's lacrosse team, received the Agnes Kurtz Award which honors the female athlete who combined proficiency in athletics with dedication to the furthering of women's sports. The Denver, Colo., resident and lacrosse goalie drew All-American third team recognition last week.

The physical education department gave James Stephens '05 the Charles Quincy Tirrell Prize. The prize honors the student who had showed the most progress in his or her first year of the physical education program.

Senior Amy Wallace '05 was presented with the Kenyon Jones Award, which is usually given to a student who has displayed a commitment and a love for recreational sports.