Big Green crew teams finish off season at Eastern Sprints

Dartmouth crew journeyed far this weekend, with the men heading to Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass., and the women to the Cooper River in Camden, N.J., to compete in the Eastern Sprints.

Each of Dartmouth's teams put in a solid performance, as the men's heavyweight varsity eight finished eighth, while the lightweight finished 11th and the women 12th overall.

The men's heavyweight teams performed well, with the varsity squad being narrowly edged by the Navy squad, finishing with a time of 5:39.2 to Navy's 5:39.1 in the petite final for an overall placing of eighth. Harvard won the grand final in a course record of 5:29.5. The junior varsity team took fourth in the petite final and 11th overall, with a time of 5:59.1, while the Big Red of Cornell won the grand final in a time of 5:41.6. The freshman eight finished in 5:58.8, good enough for 14th place overall.

The men's lightweight teams also represented with a varsity eight finish time of 5:53.0, good for fifth in the petite final and an 11th place overall finish. The Crimson also won the lightweight grand final, clocking in at 5:40.6. Dartmouth finished sixth in the second varsity eight race with a time of 6:05.4, while Harvard won again with a time of 5:49.3. Dartmouth's freshman eight garnered a sixth-place finish overall with a time of 5:59.8.

The varsity women took 12th place overall with a time of 6:44.4, good for sixth in the petite final, with Yale winning the Ivy title in 6:15.6. Dartmouth's second varsity race finished in 7:00.4, fast enough to beat out George Washington's 7:03.57 in the third-level final to take 13th overall. Dartmouth finished second in the third-level final to take 14th overall in the third varsity four "A" race. The women's best placing came in the novice eight race, where the Big Green clocked in at 6:53.20, good for fifth overall.

As a team, the Dartmouth women finished 12th in the point standings for the Willing Point trophy with 25 points. Brown outdistanced second-place Princeton 76 points to 58 to win the trophy.

Dartmouth's young rowers seem to be well-poised to improve the crew team's future prospects, as the lightweight freshman and women's novice teams both had strong finishes in their respective races.

The heavyweight men will be scrimmaging Northeastern in Boston on May 21. The women's NCAA championships are from May 27 to 29, and men's IRA nationals to be held June 2 to 4.