Women's lacrosse extends winning streak to 11 games

Dartmouth women's lacrosse traveled to Philadelphia this weekend, tallying yet another victory and bringing their undefeated record to a noteworthy 11-0. Dartmouth's 10-8 win over Penn, an important Ivy League match up, brought their Ivy record to 5-0. Saturday's victory brought the team one step closer to making Dartmouth history as they tied the program record of most consecutive wins which dates back to 1998, when the Big Green notched 11 straight wins from March through April.

The Lady Laxers dominated the game from the outset ripping the first three goals of the game past Penn goalkeeper Liz Lorelli. Four minutes into the competition Whitney Douthett '07 potted a goal unassisted. Less than a minute later she notched her second point for the day assisting senior teammate and co-captain Sarah Sanborn for her first goal and only point of the day. Just a minute following Douthett and Sanborn's performances senior Katieanne Christian took on her usual role of owning the goalkeeper and threw back her first goal of the game.

Penn took a little time to regroup after the two minutes of Big Green domination and brought themselves back into the competition. With 19:19 left on the clock Penn's Rachel Manson and Katie Spofford scored back-to-back bringing Penn within one. One minute later Douthett scored again for the Big Green helping to expand their lead. For the remainder of the first half Dartmouth and Penn scored back and forth. Douthett fed junior midfielder Annie Leibovitz to rip her first goal of the game past Lorelli. With only five minutes left on the clock sophomore midfielder Jen Pittman went to goal and scored bringing the Big Green to a 7-5 lead at the end of the first half.

Dartmouth came out for the second half and put on another show for the spectators. Not even a minute off the clock Douthett tallied her third goal of the game and fifth point for the day. Seven minutes later Christian tested the skills of Penn's goalkeeper as she went to goal. Proving them not as swift as her own, Christian's shot hit the back of the net. Four minutes after Christian, Leibovitz put Penn's goalie to her own test, and once again came out successful giving her a pair of goals for the afternoon. Quiet thus far in the second half, Penn decided they needed to put up a fight. With 16:53 left in the game Ali Ryan potted her first goal of the game. Two minutes later Christian came up with the ball and secured Dartmouth's lead with her third goal of the afternoon. With just six minutes left in the game Penn's Emily Cochran and Chrissy Muller each scored bringing the final score to 10-8. However, Penn's effort could not contend with Dartmouth's skills or strength. The Big Green outshot Penn 26-14 and led the draw controls 14-6.

Senior co-captain Erin Osborn commented on the day saying, "Though perhaps not our prettiest win, I think that we played hard and showed real toughness. Penn played very intelligently and very hard, so it was great to get a win. We're trying hard to improve each day, which is a great and exciting challenge."

Osborn's co-captain Sarah Sanborn said, "The best part of the weekend was that the trip allowed us to spend time together. Having fun has been the best part of this season so far, and it is certainly our greatest asset."

Dartmouth's junior goalkeeper Devon Wills didn't see too much action on her end of the field as she stepped up to make two saves. However, Wills is seeing incredible action in the press as she and Christian are both in consideration for the Tewaaraton Trophy, which is awarded annually to the top male and female collegiate lacrosse players across the country.

Christian and Wills now have become a part of a selective list of 18 women's lacrosse players who are under consideration for receiving the award.

Both Christian and Wills are integral members of Dartmouth's history making team. Christian is the Big Green's top goal scorer with 39 goals this season and is second overall in points with 43.

Wills, Dartmouth's starting goalkeeper since her rookie year, is nationally ranked this season in both goals against average and save percentage.

The Dartmouth women have an eventful week of play ahead of them, closing out the Ivy League portion of their season against rivals Harvard and Princeton on Sculley-Fahey Field.