Greeks garner over $10,000 in awards

The College awarded over $10,000 in prize money to Greek organizations and individuals Monday night at the annual Coed, Fraternity and Sorority Achievement Awards, hosted by the Order of Omega Greek honor society and the Office of Residential Life.

The awards fell into six categories representing the Greek communities guiding principles: accountability, service, inclusivity, brotherhood/sisterhood, scholarship and leadership.

Collis Commonground was filled for the event as the leaders of Dartmouth's CFS community showed their support.

"Greek organizations play an integral role in many aspects of the Dartmouth community and have a profound impact upon campus life" said Order of Omega awards committee co-chair Mary Reynolds '05. Co-chairs Reynolds and Kelly Thomason '05 were the masters of ceremonies.

Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman presented the first awards, recognizing accountability. Alpha Theta took top honors, followed by Phi Delta Alpha and Alpha Chi Alpha for their adherence to CFS standards.

Individually, Phi Delt house managers Ted Finnerty '05 and Phil Anderson '05 were recognized for their work overseeing the renovation of 5 Webster Avenue.

Delta Delta Delta, The Tabard and Kappa Kappa Gamma were recognized for their accomplishments in the area of inclusivity.

While presenting the awards for leadership, Dean of the College James Larimore stressed the importance of wise leadership for both the CFS community and the Dartmouth campus.

"There are many opportunities to lead and influence others, understand what you want to accomplish and push yourself to achieve that goal," Larimore said. Larimore awarded individual recognition in three leadership subcategories.

In scholarship three sororities were honored for their high grade-point averages, and two Alpha Thetas were honored as class scholars.

Ozzie Harris, special assistant to the president for institutional diversity and equity, presented the awards for Brotherhood and Sisterhood.

"Academic and social experiences create a unique connection among us and are nurtured by the CFS community," Harris said. Alpha Phi Alpha won the category; Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and Kappa were runners-up.

Other award winners included Psi Upsilon's advisers of over 40 years, Robert and Evelyn Kaiser, who were honored as the Outstanding Chapter Advisors. Epsilon Kappa Theta, Kappa and Theta Delta Chi all received grants for their service to the Upper Valley.

Kappa member Nicole Valco '05 won honors as Greek woman of the year, and Phi Delt Robert Freiman '05 was named Greek man of the year.

"My role is overall to try and build a sense of mutual respect and a comfortable environment in which everybody in the house can thrive," Valco said in her application.

The evening culminated with the presentation of the O'Connor award by College President James Wright and First Lady Susan Wright. Phi Delt received the award for their commitment to the six guiding principles.

As he bestowed the award, Wright highlighted Freiman's application, which stated, "Few people can spend four years at Dartmouth knowing that they fundamentally changed the campus. The 25 Phi Delts in the Class of 2005 can, indeed, say they have done just this."