Dartmouth's Record Breakers

Baseball's running game has been a source of tension for many fans and enthusiasts over the years. Baseball purists have bemoaned the decline of the stolen base as one of the games current flaws. Those who follow the "Moneyball" approach to baseball, however, see the stolen base as a risk that base runners shouldn't necessarily take. These two camps will debate the issue for the years to come, but it won't change sophomore Will Bashelor's approach to the game.

Bashelor has broken the College's single-season stolen bases record of 25, which was set in 1941 by John Orr '41. Orr broke the stolen base record set by Michael O'Brien with 24 in 1906. Yale Bulldog Dave Feuerstein, who stole 41 bases in 1994, holds the Ivy League single-season record.

After drawing a lead-off walk in the top of the third inning in the nightcap of Sunday's doubleheader against Yale, the lightning quick sophomore stole his recod-breaking 26th on the year. Though he was left stranded at second, Dartmouth took the game 6-2.

Bashelor tied the record on April 19 when he stole two bases in the first game of a doubleheader against Vermont.

His first stolen base of the game came in the first inning on the heels of an RBI single.

Bashelor recorded his second grab during Dartmouth's five-run fifth inning, sparking the Big Green to a 12-10 come-from-behind win over the Catamounts.

Bashelor hit an RBI double and then followed it up with a steal of third off of Vermont hurler Brandon Miles.

Despite being at the top of the record books, Bashelor did not consider the possibility of his success before the season began.

"It's not something I really thought about at the beginning of the year." Bashelor said. "I knew I would steal bases, but I didn't imagine I would steal them at the rate I have this season."

Bashelor noted the importance of stealing bases for the team's success rather than for individual recognition.

"In the end, the record's nice, but the purpose of stealing bases is to put the team in a better position to score runs and win."

In addition to leading the team in stolen bases, Bashelor has the highest batting average on the team, hitting.355 on the year. By putting himself in scoring position with his flurry of stolen bases, Bashelor has also racked up the most runs scored on the team with 25.

His success on the base path grew exponentially from last year, when he stole seven bases on the season -- good enough for second on the team.

With ten more games in the season, Bashelor has his work cut out for him to break the Ivy League record, but his most important task is continuing to provide Dartmouth with scoring opportunities by getting a jump on base paths.