Brokaw to speak at commencement

Veteran journalist and former anchor of "NBC Nightly News" Tom Brokaw will deliver this year's commencement address. The recently retired newscaster will also receive an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from the College at the commencement ceremony on June 12.

Among this year's other recipients of honorary degrees are Nobel Peace Prize winner Norman Borlaug, who was an instrumental figure in the Green Revolution, and Mary Sue Coleman, President of the University of Michigan since 2002.

Brokaw, who held his position at "NBC Nightly News" for over 20 years, recently stepped down from that job but plans to continue providing news analysis and working on other long-term projects at the network.

Brokaw began his journalism career at a television station in Omaha, Neb., after graduating from the University of South Dakota. He began working for NBC News in 1966 and stayed with the network until his retirement late last year.

In addition to his career as a distinguished broadcast journalist, Brokaw has written several popularly successful books including "The Greatest Generation," a collection of stories gleaned from letters and interviews with the generation that grew up during the Great Depression and World War II.

This year's speaker is a departure from the 2004 commencement speaker, Jeffrey Immelt '78. Immelt is Chief Executive Officer of General Electric and a Dartmouth graduate. While Brokaw was never a Dartmouth student himself, his daughter graduated from the Dartmouth Medical School in 1993.

Brokaw has amassed an impressive collection of awards, including nine Emmys and a Peabody award. He has received honorary degrees from six other universities, including Duke University and the University of Pennsylvania.

Though Brokaw may be a more recognizable name, students seemed hopeful that he could match Immelt's enthusiastic speech last year.

"Mr. Brokaw seems like a serious person, so I hope he can match the surprisingly witty and fun speech given by the GE CEO at last year's commencement," Lindsey Pryor '05 said.

Still, Pryor said she is excited to hear Brokaw's speech.

"I think because he is a well-respected and widely known anchorman and author most people are going to enjoy listening to his speech."

Daniel Hassouni '05 said he is also looking forward to Brokaw's speech.

"It is pretty neat to have such a renowned and well-spoken figure. I expect a memorable graduation ceremony," Hassouni said.

Commencement is scheduled to take place on the Green at 10 a.m. on June 12. President Wright and the senior class valedictorian will also speak at the event.