Track excels at Heps: women take sixth, men fifth

Dartmouth's track and field squad traveled to Harvard's Gordon Indoor Track last weekend to compete in the two-day 2005 Ivy League Indoor Heptagonal Championship. The women's team finished sixth with 48 points while the men's team placed fifth overall with 57 points.

On the women's side, the Big Green tied for first with the Cornell Big Red after first-day results. Kelsey Wiegmann '06 was the top finisher for Dartmouth, winning the pentathlon with 3,675 while classmate Matthan Chatterton-Richmond '06 finished third in the pentathlon with 3,516 points.

"I was just hoping to improve on my score in the pentathlon from last year and make some points for the team. I knew the competition that I would be facing, so I had a pretty clear idea of what kind of scores I would have to put up in order to pull off a win," Wiegmann, who won the pentathlon on Friday, said.

"I am excited about the pentathlon results especially because it didn't look too good after the first few events. I'm just anxious to compete to the best of my abilities and to peak at outdoor Heps this spring."

Wiegmann went on to finish third in the high jump with a 5-5 spring, behind teammate Tessa Clare '05, who placed second with a 5-7 jump.

Chatterton-Richmond, in addition to her third place performance at the pentathlon, placed second in the triple-jump and third in the long jump.

Going into last weekend's championship, Chatterton Richmond looked to "score points in all [her] events and hopefully come out with a few personal records." Afterwards, she said, "I accomplished my goals and improved many of my marks."

On the men's side, top performer Brian McCarthy '05 finished second in the high jump with the height of 6-11 1/2.

"I have focused all term on lifting and training hard and sleeping well and not losing focus on the task at hand," McCarthy said. "I hope to qualify for nationals and break the school record in the next couple of weeks."

In the men's heptathlon, senior Andrew Hall finished in the fourth place with 5,015 points. Robert Kerris '07 finished third in the shot put with the distance of 53-7 1/2 while teammate Matt Brown '05 took the fourth place with the distance of 52-11.

In the running events, Harry Norton '08 took fourth in the mile-run while Zack Strong '05 finished the 3,000-meter run in the fourth place. Mike Carmody '08 finished 2nd in the 800-meter run with the time of 1:51.01, a slim 0.72 seconds behind the first-place finisher.

"Going into the meet I ultimately wanted to win the 800m. I felt like I was capable of doing it," Carmody said. "I feel like I ran a pretty smart race, it just wasn't as fast as I would have liked but I did put myself in a position to win it with a lap to go. Jaworski of Penn was just a little stronger."

In the 60-meter dash finals, Brian Evans '08 and Fatih Stanley '07 finished sixth and seventh respectively.

After the ECAC championships next weekend at the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center in Boston, Mass., the women's team will travel to Arizona for spring break.

"We always have such a great time in Arizona," Wiegmann said. "So I'm really looking forward to relaxing and hanging out with the team and doing well in our first outdoor meet."