Mike Carmody '08 finishes third in the 800-meter at IC4A

Dartmouth track and field finished the official indoor season last weekend at the IC4A championship. Runner Michael Carmody '08 finished third in the 800-meter for Dartmouth on Saturday after winning the qualifying heat on Friday.

After the Heptagonal Championship, Carmody said, "Next weekend is the IC4A Championship. I am hoping to run a really fast 800-meter time to end the season off on a positive note."

Carmody ended up running a 1:52.6 race, one of his less spectacular performances. Albany's Gered Burns won with a time of 1:50.81.

Carmody broke Dartmouth's 800-meter record earlier this season at the Boston University Valentine's Invitational, posting a time of 1:50.31 to shatter the previous record of 1:51.55, set by Mike Hughes '93. Carmody earned an ECAC Division I Male Track Athlete of the Week honor for his record-breaking effort.

Carmody and Brian McCarthy '05 both earned selection to the All-Ivy track-and-field second team at the Ivy League Indoor Heptagonal Championship after finishing second in the 800-meter run and the high jump, respectively.

McCarthy is a two-time ECAC Division I Field Athlete of the Week during the indoor season. Teammate Matt Brown '05 was also awarded with the honor this season.

Last Wednesday, Dartmouth's Michael Mozer '05 and Kelsey Wiegmann '06 earned ECAC Field Athlete of the Week honors after winning individual events at the Indoor Heptagonal Championship. In addition, Mozer and Wiegmann were both named to the All-Ivy League track-and-field first team. Mozer snapped Princeton's four-year weight-throw reign at the Heptagonal with a 58 1/4 toss. He worked from his ninth-place finish as a first-year to a sixth-place finish as a sophomore and third-place as a junior to win finally as a senior.

Wiegmann won the pentathlon at the Indoor Heptagonal Championship for the second year in a row. She also received an automatic bid for the ECAC Championships for her 3,675-point finish. In addition, the Dartmouth junior tied for third-place in the high jump.

Teammates Tessa Clare '05 and Matthan Chatterton-Richmond '06 both earned second-team All-Ivy honors. At the Heptagonal Championship, Clare finished second in the high jump while Chatterton-Richmond turned in a second-place performance at the triple jump. Despite some spectacular performances in field events during the indoor season, the team was less pleased with its runners' results. However, the Big Green has high expectations for the outdoor season and hopes to crack the Cornell-Princeton-Penn stranglehold on the top three positions of the Outdoor Heptagonal.

"I'd say we are in a good position for the spring. We came in fifth at Heps this winter, which was disappointing because we always want to be in the top four," said John Moran '05, a four-year team member. "I think we were capable of fourth."

"We have three big athletes returning in the spring who didn't compete in the winter. Sean Furey '04 holds the school record in the javelin and will be expected to win; Ben True '08 was the cross country ECAC Division I Male Runner of the Week two times," Moran added. "Mustafa Abdur-Rahim '04 is in the same boat as Furey, a fifth-year engineering major with another season of eligibility. He was last year's Dartmouth Athlete of the Year, got sixth in the Olympic trials in the decathlon."

With the conclusion of the indoor season, Dartmouth's track-and-field teams will open their outdoor campaign at the Arizona State Invitational over spring break.

"We are just getting ready for our spring trip to Arizona," Wiegmann said. "We have our first pentathlon of the spring season over break, and it will give us a chance to see where we are and what we have to work on over the next few months to get ready for the outdoor championships."