Men's basketball falls to fourth in Ivy League play

With second place in the Ivy League on the line and in the midst of an impressive five game winning streak, the Dartmouth men's basketball team (10-17, 7-7) knew that its turnaround basketball season was going to culminate in this last road trip of the season. Heading down to the tri-state area, the Big Green had a tough task ahead of it as it sought to knock off tournament-bound Penn (18-8, 11-1) and perennial powerhouse Princeton (15-12, 6-7).

Earning the first automatic NCAA Tournament bid in the country last weekend, the Penn Quakers had nothing to lose in their game against Dartmouth on Friday. Despite their guaranteed post season berth, Penn played like they had a championship on the line. Shooting a lights out 51.1% from the field, the Quakers cut through Dartmouth's staunch defense like warm butter.

Going into the half, Penn had already built a nearly insurmountable 31-17 lead. Holding Dartmouth to 32.7 percent shooting from the floor, Penn managed to check Dartmouth's post players and force tough shots from the Big Green guards. Mike Lang '06 and Paul Bode '07 each notched eight points for Dartmouth. Additionally, Lang contributed four boards and an impressive five steals.

However, Penn was just too dominant for Dartmouth. Penn's Mark Zoller threw down 14 points while grabbing nine rebounds and the Quakers' do-it-all man Tim Begley recorded an additional ten, leaving no doubt about who is in first place in the Ivy League. Penn came away with the W, topping Dartmouth 64-37.

The next evening, Dartmouth crossed the Delaware ready for a fight like George Washington on Christmas Eve. Looking to down Princeton for the second time this year, Dartmouth needed to rebound and end the season on a winning note.

Coming out of the gate strong, David Gardner '05 went four for seven from the field in the first half, recording eight of his team high 12 points as he powered Dartmouth to a 29-28 halftime lead. Despite this, Dartmouth knew a victory was not going to be easy, especially on the Tigers' home court.

However, Princeton's Will Venable tied the game up at 33 on three consecutive shots from the charity stripe. With that momentum, Andre Logan's pair of free throws gave the Tigers the lead at the 15:03 mark.

But Dartmouth would not go away that easily. With 8:45 left in the contest, Mike Liddy '05 brought the score to 43-43 on a sizzling three from downtown. Despite this, Logan responded for the Tigers just 23 seconds later off a bomb of his own, marking the end of Dartmouth's final surge.

Princeton ended up victorious, 65-54, ending Dartmouth's season on a losing note. Even though Dartmouth ended the season will a loss, the Big Green surprised the country, bringing their 2003-2004 last place record all the way to third; this ties the second best improvement in Ivy League history.

Moreover, Head Coach Terry Dunn got Dartmouth to the 10 win mark for the first time since the 1998-1999 when the Big Green went 14-12. Also of note, Lang ended the season going 48-50 from the charity stripe, setting a Dartmouth school record with 96 percent free throw shooting, besting Gus Broberg of the class of 1941, who shot 95 percent during the 1939-1940 campaign.

Dartmouth's losses this year should not at all diminish its impressive play this season.

With a renewed commitment to defense, the Big Green went on a tear during the second half of the season and struck fear in all the teams who traveled to Leede Arena.

Expect great things from Dartmouth next season and for the future as they hope to return the Big Green to the basketball glory that it had once attained.