BMar's Defender

Tuesday's article on SA ("SA rolls out 34 public computers," Feb. 1) operates more as slander against former SA Vice President of Alumni Affairs Brian Martin than anything else. Having worked closely with Brian Martin for over a year at Psi Upsilon fraternity, I can attest to his accountability and work ethic. I can also attest to the fact that Brian Martin has never operated in an unethical manner. Brian has served as Risk Manager at Psi U, both over his sophomore summer and during his junior year, and has always handled his duty in a responsible and diligent manner. With this in mind, Psi U stands by Brian Martin in the midst of Tuesday's article.

On a personal note, I add that Tuesday's article was absurd. As a regular reader of The Dartmouth, and a student who has been around for three-plus years, I hardly find the news of 34 old computers replacing even older ones as Blitz terminals to be front-page worthy. Furthermore, I don't even consider the rumor that Brian Martin told someone about these terminals to be a story. What's more is that the breaking of this story seems to be the basis on which Julia Hildreth doubts Brian Martin's character. To put the situation in perspective: if Hildreth's allegations are true, Brian Martin was removed from his position as VP of Alumni Affairs because he told someone about a new Blitz terminal. Does this not seem a bit ridiculous?

The real story here is the petty leadership of SA, who removed a dedicated member of the body over asinine and unfounded allegations. If the SA wants to be taken seriously, then the current leadership, starting with Hildreth, must be replaced by students who can put SA's duties into perspective. Do you feel represented by a President who breaks down crying over an unconfirmed leak about new Blitz terminals?

Once again, I would like to reiterate that Psi U would like to take this opportunity to formally stand by Brian Martin and attest to his character.