Greek leaders question OAC, social policies

Psi Upsilon fraternity will come off social probation Tuesday at midnight, after a two-week period sanctioned Fall term.

The College dispensed the probation after finding Psi U in possession of several illegal kegs of beer last October.

Although the probation was justified on the basis of College policy, Psi U was frustrated by the way the infraction was handled, fraternity president Rawson Daniel '05 said.

"The College's keg policy is clear, and we were found in violation of the policy, but I was upset with the way the College handled the whole process," Daniel said. "We violated the keg policy during Homecoming weekend, and I wasn't able to meet with a dean until reading period at the end of Fall term."

Daniel said he would have preferred the College to have handled the issue sooner.

Nevertheless, Daniel is happy to see the probation come to an end.

"We are thankful it wasn't for a longer period of time," he said.

It was the first time in two years that Psi U has served social probation.

Sigma Phi Epsilon is also still serving social probation for a Fall term violation.

The fraternity provided an underage student with alcohol and served an alcoholic punch on Oct. 14, 2004.

Sig Ep received six weeks of social probation for the incident.

It served one week of that probation after Thanksgiving break and is serving the last five now.

The harsh probation sentence marked the fraternity's second violation during Fall term.

Sig Ep also served one week of social probation in mid-October for serving alcohol to an underage student.

"We feel that the time we are serving is appropriate for our missteps," fraternity president Morgan Brown '05 said.

He pointed out that the fraternity also served probation for a similar event in the fall of 2003, though he said he is aware that the Office of Undergraduate Judicial Affairs "does not like repeat violations."

The College mandated that the members of Sig Ep undergo an alcohol education program as a result of their misbehavior.

According to Brown, the program will be scheduled for later this month.

Although Psi U and Sig Ep are the only two fraternities still on social probation due to Fall term violations, the Organizational Adjudication Committee found four other organizations guilty of violating College policy during the fall.

Delta Sigma Theta violated College standards and Coed, Fraternity and Sorority system policies relating to new members during Summer term 2004.

During Fall term, the sorority was reprimanded and ordered to work closely with the Office of Residential Life to improve advising.

The College instructed the sorority to "develop a closer relationship with their national [organization]."

Gamma Delta Chi served two weeks of social probation for an unregistered event that took place Sept. 19, 2004, and Alpha Delta fraternity served the same punishment for a similar incident Sept. 21.

Last term, the College also issued Theta Delta Chi fraternity a warning for being found in possession of an illegal keg at an Oct. 1 social event.