Dartmouth athletes' garner weekend league honors

This past week has been a successful venture for Dartmouth athletes -- for their outstanding performances, Big Green competitors were honored with several prestigious awards.

Elise Morrison, the sophomore center of the Women's Basketball team and last year's Ivy League Rookie of the Year, received her second Ivy League Player of the Week honor after contributing 17 points and 13 rebounds to Dartmouth's 73-70 overtime victory over Harvard on Saturday.

Earlier this season, the starting center recorded 29 points and 10 rebounds in a game against Hartford and recorded a double-double against Harvard, Hartford and UIC. Morrison, in her freshman season, earned Ivy Rookie of the Week honors 10 times in 13 weeks during the season. She also earned second team All-Ivy honors and a spot on the Ivy League All-Rookie team.

"It was really surprising to be named athlete of the week, but the team should have been the one to be recognized," Morrison said. "It was team effort that got us past Harvard this weekend."

Sophomore Christine Capuano, the Big Green Women's Hockey goaltender who posted a 1.00 goals against average during two of Dartmouth's three wins last week, has been rewarded with her second ECAC Hockey League Goaltender of the Week honor.

Capuano (7-0-0) stopped 21 shots against UNH on Wednesday, and proceeded to stop another 15 in a win against Union on Saturday. The No. 2 ranked Dartmouth now holds a 15-1-0 overall record and an 8-0-0 ECACHL record.

Memphis, Tenn. native Mike McLaren '05 earned himself an Ivy League men's basketball player of the week honor after scoring 15 points for the Big Green in the first half of Dartmouth's 49-46 win against Harvard on Saturday.

The guard has been a consistent contributor of points to the team. He added 11 points to Dartmouth's tough 76-68 loss to the Vermont Catamounts on Monday.

One of the Dartmouth men's hockey team's top defensemen, John Ostapyk, was selected by the Hockey Humanitarian Committee to be one of five finalists for the 2005 Hockey Humanitarian Award.

Ostapyk was the only ECACHL and Ivy League player to make the list. Ostapyk volunteers at the Carter Community Building in Lebanon, N.H., where he became a role model to children in the community.

Ostapyk follows in the footsteps of a number of past Dartmouth nominees for the award. Sarah Nelson was a finalist in 1999, while Dan Cassella received a nomination in 2002.

The senior has appeared in 76 career games and scored nine goals. He played in all 13 games for Dartmouth this season and is ranked second in assists on the team.

Senior Brian McCarthy, Dartmouth's top high jumper, garnered the ECAC Division I Field Athlete of the Week award after he finished first in the men's high jump competition at the 36th Annual Dartmouth Relays over the weekend.

The senior from Rockville Centre, NY was Dartmouth's only competitor in the high jump category and cleared 6-9 to lead the pack. His personal best in high jump is 6-10 and his best in triple jump is 13.43 m.