Nader Deserves a Chance

New Hampshire voters may wonder why Democrats gave up efforts to force Ralph Nader off of their state ballots. Did they have a change of conscience for this blatant anti-civil rights violation, worthy of the Dixiecrats rather than the modern Democratic party? The answer, unfortunately, is no.

The Nader campaign had the head of the Democratic Party in New Hampshire admit under oath that she was funded and guided by the national party. A misdirected copy of the brief filed against Nader had the notations of Judy Reardon, a Kerry campaign official, on it. This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was no separation between the Kerry campaign, the national Democratic Party and the supposedly independent effort to remove him from the ballot.

The moral of this story is that if New Hampshire voters are as disgusted with this attack on the rights of voters to choose, rather than to debate the anti-war, healthcare-for-all and living-wage message with Nader, then they can vote for Nader. Maybe this would send a warning to the Democrats never to violate the voting rights of New Hampshire residents again.