For UGAs, programming crunch time

As the end of Fall term approaches, the crunch is on -- not only for students worrying about finals, but also for Undergraduate Advisors struggling to fulfill their job requirements as end-of-term evaluations loom.

The Office of Residential Life expects its UGAs to meet certain performance standards, and while some said planning ahead made the requirements easy to fulfill, others are hurrying to meet demands.

Students living in residence halls have recently observed a flurry of UGA programming.

Akay Tunkak '06, a UGA in Hitchcock residence hall, said she has felt pressured by the upcoming end of the term to complete her program requirements, but she attributed this to the fact that as she grew familiar with her residents, she learned of more programs that would appeal to them.

"Programming is getting to be more last minute, but I feel that it's because it has taken me a while to figure out what to do and what my floor would like," she said.

While in past years UGAs have been required to put on a minimum of seven programs per term, the number was reduced to six this year. The strict guidelines for these programs were also relaxed, and UGAs now have more flexibility in program planning.

Although The Office of Residential Life has decreased the program requirements for UGAs, it has grown stricter in holding UGAs accountable for programming standards. Vic Glazer '06, a UGA in Lord residence hall, said the College didn't take programming logs seriously in the past, but that this year, it has enforced rules on programming.

"It's not really a problem for UGAs that have been consistent throughout the term and have made an effort to get to know their residents and make programs that cater to their needs," she said.

Jodie Neukirch '05 attributed the rush of programming events to a greater demand at the end of the term.

"A lot of UGAs simply leave some programs, like picking classes or study breaks, towards the end of the term when they are more useful," she said.

According to Jeffrey DeWitt, associate director of Residential Education, the College adjusted requirements in response to feedback from UGAs and administrative observations of programming.

DeWitt said the new requirements let UGAs work with the community directors to assess their residents' needs. He added that the UGAs know their responsibilities from the beginning of the term.

"The staff has plenty of support for completing the requirements, so the requirements themselves should not result in UGAs scrambling to complete programs at the last minute," DeWitt said.

Although UGAs are expected to put on a minimum of six programs, their performance does not affect their earnings.

Joanna Hunter '06, a UGA in Ripley residence hall, said that although UGAs have job requirements to fulfill, the focus of the job is to get to know residents and build community.

"The programs are simply a means of getting there," she said. "The requirement is there, but it is not the heart of our job."