Poll predicts high student turnout

Seventy-two percent of college students will cast about 6 million votes in the presidential election Nov. 2, and most will likely vote for Sen. John Kerry, according to a Harvard University Institute of Politics poll released earlier this month.

Among likely voters, 52 percent of college students will vote for Kerry as opposed to 39 percent for Bush, the poll found. At 17 percent, Kerry's lead is even greater in 14 key swing states, including New Hampshire. The pollsters credited the disparity to get-out-the-vote efforts in close states.

The poll's findings indicate that the youth vote could have a significant impact on the election.

"Seventy-two percent is a very, very strong number," said Harvard Institute of Politics Communications Director Esten Perez. "We know that they registered and we know that they are voting."

The survey, based on responses from 1,202 college students drawn randomly from a database of nearly 5.1 million students, asked students to identify their top concerns. Students named the economy and the war in Iraq the election's two most important issues.

For the first time since 2002, more students oppose having gone to war than support it, according to the Institute of Politics.

According to the poll, college students are increasingly identifying with one party or another. Thirty-four percent identified themselves as Democrats, 29 percent as Republicans, 33 percent as Independents -- down from 41 percent last October.

Students are also getting more engaged with politics. Eighty-four percent said they talk about politics or current events at least once a week.

The finding contrasts with similar Harvard study conducted in 2000 that found a deep disillusionment with the political system.

College Republicans president Jesse Roisin '05 said he thinks the poll's findings reflect a growing dissatisfaction with Bush rather than a heartfelt support for Kerry.

"Young people I know who are supporting Kerry have this sense that they know how to do things better than they are done currently, and Kerry is an easy person to support," Roisin said.

"Young people are pretty self-assured," he added," We think we know how to get things done."