College pays homage to late McLaughlin

A somber crowd gathered to pay final respects to former Dartmouth President David Thomas McLaughlin '54 Monday in Rollins Chapel. Greeted by bagpipes and organist Christopher Lundell, friends, faculty and students joined McLaughlin's family for a memorial that celebrated his 54 years of dedication to the College.

McLaughlin, or Mac, as his 13 grandchildren called him, died in August while on a fishing trip with his sons and classmates in Alaska. A renowned businessman who was influential in both domestic and international affairs, he was best known on campus for his controversial term as Dartmouth's 14th president from 1981 to 1987.

At the service, speakers focused on their personal memories of him, recalling his integrity, courage and indefatigable sense of humor. Following a procession led by President James Wright, including members of the Board of Trustees, trustees emeriti and other speakers at the service, William McLaughlin '78 represented the family in remembering his father as "an enduring inspiration in what is good in all people."

Frederick Whittemore '53 from Morgan Stanley and Lester Crown from The Aspen Institute both spoke about McLaughlin's prowess as a businessman and his refusal to take credit for those accomplishments. They cited his mastery at deflecting both credit and criticism in favor of efficacy, as well as unwavering dedication to his work.

Speeches in memoriam by Anne Ponder, President of Colby-Sawyer College, and Berl Bernhard '51, trustee emeritus, followed a similar tone. Both cited McLaughlin's attention to even the smallest problems, as well as his dedication to all areas of his life. Bernhard referenced McLaughlin's strength of character after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, when he mobilized over 57,000 volunteers in New York City and Washington D.C., and personally comforted the families of the victims.

President James Wright spoke about McLaughlin's many achievements at Dartmouth, both as a student who excelled in sports and academics and as a College president who supported coeducation, moved the school's hospital off campus and oversaw the building of the Berry Athletic Center, the Hood Museum, the Rockefeller Center and the Maxwell/Channing Cox apartments.

Reverend Fred Berthold Jr. '45 performed the benediction. Music for the ceremony included "Climb Every Mountain," performed by Sarah Ries '04, "Dartmouth Undying," performed by The Aires and "As the Backs Go Tearing by," performed by assistant professor of Music Steven Swayne. The congregation also joined in singing "America the Beautiful."

Following the service, the family hosted a reception in the Hopkins Center for conversation.