College names head librarian

Dartmouth named Jeffrey Horrell, a librarian from Harvard University, as the College's new Dean of the Libraries on Thursday, ending a months-long selection process and filling a position that has been empty since January. Horrell will assume his duties in February of the coming year.

Horrell comes to Dartmouth from Harvard, where he has worked since 1992, most recently as the university's Associate Librarian for Collections. He ran the Sherman Art Library at Dartmouth during the 1980s.

In his new position, Horrell will oversee nine libraries, 175 staff members and an annual budget of almost $20 million.

"I am delighted and honored to have the opportunity to serve in this role for Dartmouth and the libraries," said Horrell. "I am actually thrilled to have this position and work with a really fine group of people in the library."

Horrell was selected from about 50 initial candidates and was among nine the search committee interviewed.

The search for a head librarian began last September, after former Dean of the Libraries Richard Lucier announced his resignation in an unexpected e-mail to College Provost Barry Scherr. Lucier's controversial term was marked by debate over his goal to centralize the College's disparate libraries under a single umbrella. Lucier provoked an outcry when he announced plans to connect Sherman Art Library to Baker-Berry Library and take control of Sanborn Library away from the English department.

French and Italian professor Katharine Conley chaired the search committee, which solicited student input in efforts to dispel previous criticism that Lucier had placed budget concerns over community interests.

Horrell brings with him much experience in library administration. After serving as head of Sherman Art Library from 1981 to 1986, he headed to Syracuse University, and in 1992 started his career at Harvard. There, he moved from librarian of the fine arts library to the university's rare book and manuscript library and finally ascended to Associate Librarian for Collections in 1998.

Horrell graduated with a B.A. in philosophy from Miami University of Ohio, and went on to obtain degrees in library science and the history of art from University of Michigan. He received an M.Phil and Ph.D. from Syracuse University.

In addition to his library-related work, Horrell has written about photographic history.

Horrell will report to College Provost Barry Scherr and will be part of his Academic Council.

"He's a person who has the specific experience that we're looking for," Scherr said. "He's done the kind of work were looking for."

While Horrell has no specific immediate plan of action, he said that he was committed to meeting library constituents' needs and will work with the Council on the Libraries to solidify a coherent vision for the future.

Horrell replaces John Crane, who served as interim Dean of Libraries after Lucier's resignation. Crane, who worked with Horrell at Dartmouth in the 1980s, was involved in Horrell's selection but not on the search committee. He expressed excitement about Horrell.

"It's an absolutely terrific appointment for Dartmouth," Crane said. "He uniquely knows Dartmouth and knows research libraries and knows issues research libraries are wrestling with."

Horrell's appointment makes him the eighteenth Librarian in the College's history.