Thayer construction serves as boon for campus decorators

As construction on the Thayer Engineering School moves into its third month, traffic road signs are disappearing and turning up in student dorm rooms.

Safety and Security has recovered four stolen signs from the Thayer site during patrol in dorm and common rooms so far this term -- and the College wants to make certain that no more are stolen.

With no one guarding the signs at night except Safety and Security officers on patrol, it is not difficult for signs to go missing.

At the beginning of the term, River Community Director Krista Beron sent a BlitzMail message to all cluster residents warning about stolen signs.

Beron later denied knowing of any actual cases.

"We have so many; it is difficult to keep track of them all," site worker Alex Amature said.

But at least two would-be freshmen thieves said stealing the signs has proved a challenge.

"Our problem is not in taking the signs, it is getting them back across campus without being seen," said the freshman, a male resident of the Choates who did not want to be identified by name.

"We figure we can fit a smaller sign into an EBAs large pizza box, but to move the big 'yield' and 'road closed' signs we may have to dress up as construction workers."

He added, "I am in the market for a hard-hat, if anyone can help."

Why the construction kleptomania? In recent years, inspired by bars and restaurants like TGI Friday's, road and construction signs have become increasingly popular decorations on dormitory and fraternity house walls and are a hot commodity.

Over 300 signs were up for bid on eBay this week, ranging in price from $0.01 to $349 for rare acquisitions.

Kleptomaniacs beware: The Thayer site thefts are not without consequence. On campus, all infractions are dealt with by the Office of Judicial Affairs, which has so far referred cases to class deans, according to Judicial Affairs representatives.

Depending on a student's previous history and the type of theft committed, penalties could range from a reprimand to College separation.

Within the local jurisdiction, penalties can be even more serious. Nationally, the average fine for a stolen road sign is $500, according to the Central Intelligence Agency.

In one case in Florida, three young people were tried for murder after a stolen stop sign caused a deadly collision.

The Gilbane Construction Company, which is overseeing the Thayer construction, requests that any further information about stolen signs is reported to its office at 646-6597, and that all signs are returned as soon as possible.