Students urged to mind manners in class

Dartmouth classes began last week with the usual discussions of course requirements and the Academic Honor Principle. A number of them have also included warnings for students to stay on good behavior.

As colleges nationwide have increasingly grown concerned over student courtesy, Dartmouth professors are weighing in on the subject.

The verdict: students shouldn't automatically expect to sip coffee while professors lecture on Plato or check their BlitzMail in between typing notes on organic chemistry.

Not all professors mind these activities, but some find themselves needing to lay down ground rules regarding eating, drinking, e-mailing or leaving to go to the bathroom during a lecture.

Art history professor Marlene Heck finds herself particularly agitated by this type of behavior, which she says has gotten worse in recent years.

"I jokingly say that this is the generation that grew up with remote controls -- pausing, stopping, muting," said Heck. "You can't Tivo your professors."

Students who act disrespectfully might not know it, Heck said, but this generation's different outlook makes it necessary for her to set rules reminiscent of high school.

She cited the portable technology available to today's students, including not only laptops but also cell phones and beepers, as a major source of disruption in class.

Like Heck, Susan Ackerman of the religion department does not allow laptops in her classes, even though many students like to use them to take notes.

"I prohibit laptops because what I'm looking for in my classroom is conversation and discussion," Ackerman said. "I find that if someone has a laptop, that blocks that discussion."

On the opposite end of the spectrum, biochemistry and medicine professor Lee Witters prefers to leave such behavior decisions up to his students.

"If people want to sit in the back and stare at their laptops, so be it," Witters said, adding that not paying attention to class is the students' own loss.

Following a philosophy of teaching that aims to encourage mutual respect, Witters chooses to not comment on a student's behavior unless it is seen as necessary.

Meredith Jones '05, a former student of Witters, said she thinks that Witters' engaging teaching style is enough to keep most students riveted.

"I think that perhaps if more professors were as devoted to the principles of engaging their students and teaching for the sake of learning as Dr. Witters is, there would be no need for instituting specific classroom rules," Jones said.

But it's not hard to take advantage of Witters' laid-back attitude, especially in large biology classes where attendance is not mandated, said Rebecca Scully '05, a teaching assistant in one of his classes.

Still, Scully said students who don't pay attention are missing out on an invaluable experience.

"You don't interrupt people, you don't stand up, these [professors] are very intelligent and deserve your respect," she said.