Diverse array of faiths congregate on Dartmouth's altar

While it may not be the most talked-about aspect of campus life, many Dartmouth students maintain active spiritual existences. These students are the force behind the thriving network of religious organizations and services available at Dartmouth.

The College stopped requiring students to perform daily worship in 1925, but many continue to participate in the prayers and services of their respective faiths through many campus groups and around the Upper Valley.

While some meet in private groups, most campus religious organizations were formed under the support of the Tucker Foundation, which was founded to "further the moral and spiritual life of the College." The foundation also oversees scores of community services projects and secular organizations.

Students who cannot find representation for their belief systems can contact the Tucker Foundation to establish a group on their own.

Muslim organizations

For practicing Muslim students, biweekly meetings of Al-Nur are held at the Pavilion. Regular Friday Jumaa prayers are also held at Rollins Chapel near Baker-Berry Library.

Al-Nur also undertakes a variety of community service projects throughout the Upper Valley.

Jewish organizations

The seven-year-old Roth Center next to the Choates residential cluster on the west side of campus houses Hillel, the center of Jewish life at Dartmouth.

Hillel, which sponsors an impressive range of social, cultural, intellectual and religious events, is among the more active organizations on campus.

Every Friday evening Shabbat services and home-cooked dinners are available, and on Saturday mornings Torah readings, discussions and potluck lunches are offered.

Special events include bagel brunches, the annual Ski Shabbaton at Killington resort and films and holiday celebrations throughout the year.

Chabad, an alternative Jewish resource at Dartmouth, also offers open Shabbat dinners led by Rabbi Moshe Leib Gray and his young family.

Christian organizations

Roughly a dozen distinct groups provide a welcoming atmosphere for Christians of all varieties.

Aquinas House, located at the end of Webster Avenue, serves as a home base for Dartmouth's Catholic population and offers extensive facilities that are open 24 hours and available to all students. The facilities include a library, computer room, study lounge, game room, television room, living room and kitchen.

AQ facilitates community services projects, intimate discussion groups and the "God-Squad" intramural sports teams shared with students from Hillel.

Among the Protestant groups around campus, Navigators Christian Fellowship, Christian Impact (formerly known as Campus Crusade for Christ) and Asian Christian Fellowship offer weekly meetings for Bible study and organized retreats.