Upper Valley named best workplace for commuters

Best Workplace for Commuters, a federally-sponsored research program, has recently distinguished Dartmouth as an employer dedicated to facilitating ridesharing and cheap, environmentally friendly transportation for employees. While the honor was not accompanied by a cash prize, the College can use the distinction for employee recruiting purposes, public relations, marketing and seeking grants related to traffic and commuting.

The Best Workplace for Commuters program was established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Dartmouth was recognized because it contributes financially to the free Advanced Transit service, provides cash buyouts of parking spaces and participates in Rideshare, the carpool program offered by Advanced Transit, assistant Rideshare coordinator Mike Muller said.

As this is only the second year that the Best Workplace for Commuters recognitions have been made, Muller is unsure of the impact that the honor will have on the public. However, he is optimistic that as more employers hear of the Best Workplace for Commuters distinction and programs, they will be eager to participate.

"As more employers come to realize, both through public awareness and as their employees have more issues with getting to work, the program opens up their base of folks to chose from," Muller said. "If they don't have commuter benefits they can only select people who have cars at their disposal. Taking up commuter issues will open up their pool of potential candidates and will save them money in parking and employee turnover."

While dedication to facilitating efficient employee transportation is one component of the recognition's criteria, concern for the environment is also a factor. Director of News and Public Information Roland Adams said he hopes that the recognition will strengthen Dartmouth's image as an environmentally friendly college and employer.

"We certainly hope that this distinction will be helpful in recruiting employees, as it reflects Dartmouth's concern both for its employees and for the environment," Adams said. "Hopefully it will speak to the college's commitment to the environment and environmentally responsible commuting, and will attract employees who feel likewise."

Environmentally friendly transportation solutions not only promote a positive image of Dartmouth, but also translate to monetary savings for both the employer and the employees.

"One of the biggest advantages for the people who use our program is saving money. Our program is good for traffic congestion, air quality and reduced fuel usage, because of carpooling and the splitting of gas costs. For employers, benefits include reduced parking demands," Muller said.

Muller added that carpooling has shown to create happier employees. "They don't have to drive every day by themselves. [They] show up less stressed out and ready to start the work day," he said.

He described the carpooling program as easy to use. "It's free. It can be done with a phone call, e-mail, online or by mail," he said.