N.H. voted best state to live in, beating out Minn.

Despite its modest population numbers and rural atmosphere, New Hampshire won the title of the nation's most livable state, topping the charts of "State Rankings 2004."

New Hampshire narrowly defeated reigning champion Minnesota, which has held the title for the last seven years.

Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman has lived in both New Hampshire and Minnesota and said that the state rankings do not surprise him. Redman praised New Hampshire's educational system, and said, "New Hampshire is a great place to raise a family, and if you are into outdoor activities -- hiking, camping -- it's perfect. There's even a seacoast, although not much of one."

Redman added that although New Hampshire is diverse, its diversity pales in comparison to other states. He said that the United States is growing in ethnic diversity and that New Hampshire's ethnic profile does not match this trend.

Collis worker and New Hampshire resident Ray Crosby cited the minimal taxes as one of the many reasons why New Hampshire is a great state to live in. In New Hampshire, the "live free or die" state, there is no sales tax. There are property taxes, however, and Crosby said that taxes on cars and land in New Hampshire can be expensive.

Crosby said that while Hanover and Lebanon are thriving economically, some areas of the state are extremely poor.

"Claremont and Springfield are like ghost towns," he said.

Crosby attributes this partially to the fact that the towns had once thrived on the textile industry, which has now shifted overseas.

Kate Strayer-Benton '05, who hails from Sandwich, N.H., said that she agrees with the state's rating.

While Strayer-Benton said she occasionally felt suffocated by the atmosphere as a teenager, she has now grown to appreciate her experience growing up in a small town in New Hampshire.

"The sense of community and responsibility is extremely strong, and it is the heart of many grassroots organizations for a reason. There is a strong sense of ownership and responsibility regarding our natural surroundings, and people take their preservation very seriously, as well as appreciate the leisure and sporting benefits provided by the area," she said.

Because of Dartmouth's draw from the entire country, Hanover is home to many temporary New Hampshire residents. Bob Koven '06, from Atlanta, Ga., said the weather is not the only difference he has noticed between his southern home and Hanover.

"There are a lot of outdoors activities to do here ... camping, kayaking, fishing ... and because of all the outdoor activities, people seem to keep the environment pretty clean. There aren't too many campuses where you see moose walking around."

Published annually by Morgan Quinto Press, "State Rankings 2004" is a reference book of state statistics. State rankings span over 550 categories that include economics, education, public health and safety and the environment.

New Hampshire's rural setting, strong sense of community and commitment to the environment are among the most emphasized reasons residents cite when asked why New Hampshire is the country's most livable state.

The key appears to be celebrating rather than bemoaning New Hampshire's rural atmosphere. Indeed, according to Strayer-Benton, "New Hampshire is a state with a lot of gifts, but as with any place, you have to be willing to accept them before you can appreciate them."