Two Clintons, Gore kick off Democratic convention

The Democratic National Convention kicked off Monday night in Boston amid much fanfare and heavy security. While most Dartmouth students watched the first night of the political spectacle on television, two students were actually participating on the inside.

Sarah Ayres '06 and Jacob Crumbine '07 are serving at the convention as delegates for former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean. A Hanover resident, Ayres was elected to represent Dean on behalf of New Hampshire's Second Congressional District in January.

Crumbine, a native of Norwich, Vt., was elected to serve as one of Vermont's seven total Dean delegates at the Vermont state convention.

As delegates, the two students will play a role in the nomination vote later in the week. Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., wrapped up the nomination early in the primary season winning a large majority of the country's primaries. However, many of his opponents, like Dean, have delegates who remain pledged to their original Democratic primary candidate.

Dean on Monday released his delegates, urging them to vote for John Kerry. It is expected that the majority of Dean delegates and those of most other candidates will make the switch in the name of party unity, but the decision is up to the individual delegates. Ayres and Crumbine could not be reached for comment, but both said before the convention that once the convention is over, they will wholeheartedly support Kerry's campaign.

Monday also featured speeches by former Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter, former Vice President Al Gore, and Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y. The speeches all featured similar themes. The Democrats sought to remind America of its popular victory in 2000, despite defeat in the Electoral College, repeating much of the same rhetoric heard four years ago.

Gore, who just four years ago accepted his nomination for the presidency at the Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles, focused in his speech on lessons he learned from 2000. First, he said, "take it from me -- every vote counts." He went on to criticize the record of the 2000 victor, President George Bush, asking "those watching at home who supported President Bush four years ago: did you really get what you expected from the candidate you voted for? Is our country more united today or more divided?" Finally, he urged independents, especially those who had voted for Ralph Nader in 2000 to reevaluate. "Do you still believe that there was no difference between the candidates?" Gore asked.

Clinton was greeted with uproarious applause by the biased FleetCenter crowd as he walked out onto the rostrum. His speech sought to remind the public of his eight years in the office, but also elaborate on the prospect of the next four years under John Kerry. He humbled himself, describing his role not as the former president, but as a "citizen, eager to join you here in Boston as a foot soldier in the fight for our future."

He elaborated what he saw as the differences between America's two parties, trying to appeal to the undecided independent voters.

"Democrats and Republicans have very different ideas on what choices we should make, rooted in fundamentally different views of how we should meet our common challenges at home and how we should play our roll in the world. Democrats want to build an America of shared responsibilities and shared opportunities ... Republicans believe in an America run by the right people, their people," Clinton said.

The convention continues through Thursday, with the most important speeches of Democratic vice presidential nominee John Edwards and Presidential nominee John Kerry coming Wednesday and Thursday nights, respectively. Barack Obama, a state senator from Ill running for U.S. Senate who was recently named the keynote speaker, is set to speak on Tuesday.