Summer Assembly looks to increase involvement

The Student Assembly plans to take business to a higher level of professionalism this summer. Led by summer president Todd Rabkin Golden '06, the Assembly's goals include improving communication with students and changing its image.

In an effort to improve communication with students on campus, Assembly leaders will update their previously unused BlitzMail bulletin on a weekly basis while maintaining their website and Hopkins Center bulletin board with current information.

As part of its image change, the Assembly also plans to redesign its logo. Assembly officials debated how to choose the logo design; some proposed a campus-wide competition, while others suggested that graphic design students be asked to submit proposals.

Increased student participation is one of the Assembly's primary goals for Summer term, and Rabkin Golden hopes that Tuesday night meetings will be well-attended so that the ideas and concerns of the student body can be expressed.

"We're not a selective group. Anyone can join, and we are really open to trying new things," Rabkin Golden said.

While the annual Assembly budget is $80,000, just $7,000 is allocated for summer use. According to Rabkin Golden and summer vice president Diana Zhang '06, planned activities for Summer term include a July 16 block party barbecue on Webster Ave. The Assembly will provide free food and a live band from four to seven o'clock.

Student health is also a concern for the summer Assembly. Earlier this term, the Assembly distributed magnets with details of Dick's House phone numbers and policies and organized classes in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation. The Assembly is also looking into speaking with Dick's House regarding hours that would better accommodate students.

The Assembly also plans to continue work on projects started last year. With the Assembly's funds, new elliptical machines, free weights and a treadmill have been purchased for Kresge Fitness Center.

"We just bought a lot of equipment for Kresge," Rabkin Golden said. "It should arrive in a few weeks. We allocated $10,000 of last year's budget on the equipment."

Rabkin Golden and Zhang are also currently working on expanding the Rides Across Dartmouth bicycle program. The Assembly will respond to positive feedback by investing more money and energy into the project and by purchasing more bikes.

"This will hopefully help to continue the program into the fall, and make it a permanent part of the Dartmouth scene," Zhang said.