In Praise of Cold Showers

Asian, black, mixed, white and so on, we all have relationship "problems" at Dartmouth. No one seems to find worthy mates outside of their infamous twin beds. Relationships really should reach far beyond the extra-long fitted sheet, far beyond the pallet on the floor, far beyond the football field at night -- yes, someone's nasty little secret has been spoiled. In my opinion, at Dartmouth College the majority of relationships have been reduced to sex, or should I say "Meat Fests."

There are men and women on this campus who compete for the position of "Whore of Babylon." I mean really, is sex the most important thing in life or relationships?

Some may argue yes, and they present a good argument: "Sex is good! Sex is great! Sex is the only time I feel... I feel... Well, I feel, and that's good enough for me!" Fine, fine, take your trifling behind and feel, if you must. Those of us who can discuss such topics on a higher level view sex and relationships from another perspective. Sex can mean a coming together or a breaking apart in a relationship; it does not define true relationships.

Sex is something not to be taken lightly because there are these little things we call STDs. Many people on this campus have contracted things that they know about and things that they will not know about for a few years. That's just nasty!

Yes, I'm judging, but I can't help it. It's more like I'm making a statement. Nevertheless, my point is that sex is dangerous, especially at Dartmouth because we have such a small pool of partners -- particularly in the summer.

Now, addressing the Meat Fest that has begun: yes, do whatever you want to do. We are young and we should experience sex before we become bitter 37-year-olds who cannot get any if we were standing on a corner with a sign -- for free, anyway.

It is an awful fact that many people here share the same partners, who may or may not have some sort of STD, but they continue to jeopardize themselves. It is great if you are doing what you want to do but, again, I address the fact that you may need to reevaluate the situation because sex may be a substitute for what you are really looking for: a Relationship with a capital "R." I'm not accusing anybody, I'm just speaking from what I know and, on a few occasions, what I've heard.

Oh, and that's what reminds me of another thing, turn some music on or something when you do it. People have ears. And if you are short with your comings, yeah people know, and you should be embarrassed because people do talk.

This is Ronald McCants reminding you if you find yourself in a compromising position this summer, make sure you wrap that stuff up in something or just not do it at all. Remember to have your cat spayed or neutered.

On a serious note, if the person you love or are trying to be in a relationship with is interested in you, by all means do what you want to do. But remember that, more often than not, this could mean the end to a potentially wonderful relationship.

However, for the freak in me and the freak in you, do whatever you want to do. There are plenty of masochistic lovers and partners out there; you know the name of the game and it probably knows you too.

Just be safe. Don't define your relationship on sex. It's kind of wrong.