Commentary: Lakers have enough with Kobe and Odom

More than any other team in NBA history, the Los Angeles Lakers have capitalized on transactions involving high-priced Hall of Fame centers. However, for the first time in team history, the Lakers' move involves shipping a high-quality center out of L.A. rather than bringing one in, as it did when it acquired Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Shaquille O'Neal in the 1960s, 1970s and 1990s, respectively.

It is normally not good for business when a franchise trades one of the league's most recognizable players. However, the Shaq trade to the Miami Heat organization will work for the Lakers, as will be proved when the team resumes its dominance and makes a strong playoff push in 2004-05. Here are some reasons why L.A. will not miss Shaq too much:

1) Kobe, Divac, Payton, Odom and Butler make a formidable five:

Think the Kings and Mavericks plus defense. Throw in Karl Malone, Luke Walton and Kareem Rush in the mix and L.A. has a offense that can score in transition, run the half-court offense and play pressure defense.

2) The Shaq-Kobe combo has passed its prime:

Shaq and Kobe could not beat Detroit in the finals. With Shaq getting up there in age, it is unlikely that the combo's chances would be any better next season.

3) The Western Conference is not as strong as pundits predict:

Don't expect the Timberwolves to repeat their impressive 2003-04 run. Sprewell and Cassell are unlikely to repeat their career years as they age into their mid-30s. Dallas is weaker at the point guard position with the loss of star Steve Nash. San Antonio lost key role player Hidayet Turkoglu.Also, don't believe the Denver Nuggets hype. In fact, the addition of Kenyon Martin may hurt the Nuggets. Martin is a hot-head and is not a natural scorer.

4) Kobe has extra motivation next season:

The media tore into Kobe in recent months, blaming him for the Finals loss and calling him crazy for running Shaq out of town. Remember, Kobe is the most talented player to grace the NBA since Jordan. Expect him to rebound with a vengeance next season.