'04s experience varied senior springs

With their last term at the Big Green now behind them, '04s are looking forward to new adventures that lie ahead. While some chose to spend their last term at the College away from the classroom, others opted for one last taste of academia at Dartmouth. Here is a quick peek into the springs of three seniors.

Stephanie Feldman

Not taking classes this past spring, Stephanie Feldman '04 found that she had plenty of time to enjoy "Camp Dartmouth, the river and friends."

When not at barbecues or down on the Connecticut River, Feldman spent her time working at Green Corps and with the Hopkins Center Cultural Events Productions, as well as preparing for a summer program at NASA in Houston.

Feldman's enthusiasm for the past term is readily apparent, citing being able to go out more and "be ragey" as one of the many advantages to having a less hectic schedule. For Feldman, the highlight of the term was during Green Key Weekend, when she ran down to the river after the mud fight at Alpha Delta fraternity.

"I feel like senior spring has been Sophomore Summer revisited," said Feldman, a psychology major.

Brad Bate

While many chose a more light-hearted finale to their time at Dartmouth, Bradley Bate '04 chose the opposite, writing a thesis and taking two demanding courses.

"In a masochist way, it was nice to have such a hard term. It was very academically rewarding," said Bate, an environmental studies major and chemistry minor.

Writing on soil phosphorous chemistry, Bate spent much of the term working on his thesis and completing work for his other two classes. In the beginning of the term, Bate also poured a large amount of time into organizing the Academic Gala.

Despite being "stressful and intense," Bate said that writing a thesis was a "nice way" to finish out his time at the College.

As for taking two classes in addition to thesis work, Bate had mixed feelings, finding that he had little time for social and extra-curricular activities. According to Bate, the term "lacked balance."

Bate, who will be here this summer working at the Montshire Museum, said that the highlight of his term was Green Key, which he set aside specifically to spend with his friends.

Next winter, Bate will travel to Antarctica to pursue research relating to his thesis.

Freddi Ghesquiere

Looking forward to what she thought would be a "carefree and lazy" term, Frederica Ghesquiere '04 found her senior spring was much busier than she ever would have anticipated despite not taking classes.

On for seven terms in a row between her sophomore and junior winter, Ghesquiere chose to use her senior spring as her third off-term. However, the religion and environmental studies double major used much of the term to finish up her thesis.

When not putting the finishing touches on her paper, Ghesquiere poured between 20 and 35 hours a week working on DOC Trips, preparing for the incoming '08s.

"But that's fun work. I love it," Ghesquiere said.

Yet, despite her busy schedule, Ghesquiere noted that not taking classes allowed her to be much more flexible than in past terms, permitting her to spend a good portion of her last term at Dartmouth with her friends -- playing IM softball, sampling wine at the Canoe Club, running and biking. She cited Friday night barbecues with friends and the SNDC (Sunday Night Drinking Club) as among the many highlights of her term.

All in all, Ghesquiere said she was satisfied with her last term at the College.

"Each term is different and has its own flavor. This term has simply been what it's been and I'm happy with it," Ghesquiere said.