Student Assembly debuts 'Rides Across Dartmouth'

Ten fluorescent green bikes stood outside Thayer Hall courtesy of Student Assembly Wednesday night at 7 p.m., just waiting for students in need of quick transportation across campus.

Earlier this term, the Assembly allotted $1,000 for the Rides Across Dartmouth program to cover the costs of the Walmart bicycles, bumper stickers, paint and other supplies. The Assembly is not liable for any injuries on the bikes, as posted on the bikes' bumper stickers.

"We wanted them to stand out and look like they do so that people would be less likely to steal them, and just use them to get from place to place," outgoing Student Body President Janos Marton '04 said.

"I'm confident that the bikes will be treated well and that it's a first small step in a large program," Assembly member Dave Zubricki '07 said.

Others shrugged their shoulders. "If it didn't work before, why would it work now?" John Buckholz '04 said, alluding to the defunct Big Green Bikes program, which failed due to damage and neglect of the bikes.

Another student scoffed at the bikes, muttering "I give 'em a week," before walking away on foot.

"I feel like a circus bear on a bicycle," avid bicyclist Rory Gawler '05 said as he tried out a bike with a wobbly seat and handlebars.

Even though Gawler said he has many bikes and wouldn't need to use one of the Assembly bikes, he praised the program.

"I think it's a great idea. Hopefully people will stop stealing my bikes," Gawler said.

"Hopefully people will respect the rules we laid out and we'll be able to get more bikes" in the future, Assembly member Kirsten Murray '07 added.

Assembly members credited Diana Zhang '06, the Student Services committee chair, for her work on the bikes.

"She has been in the SA office working on these bikes for hours this week, and prior to that did a lot of work and organizing to bring this program back to Dartmouth," Murray said of Zhang.

In an interview with The Dartmouth, Zhang herself noted that in order to prevent theft, all 10 bikes have been registered with Safety and Security and are labeled with corresponding tracking numbers.