College awards end-of-year prizes

Numerous offices and departments have recently recognized students who have made a significant impact on the Dartmouth community as the academic year comes to a close.

These campus-wide honors include the Dean of the College Award for Service, Cardozo Prize, Kramer Group Award, Committee on Student Organizations Awards and Greek Life Awards.

The Dean of the College Award, which is in its first year of existence, recognizes seven students for work in the Dartmouth community that far exceeds that of the typical College student, according to the award description.

Cara Wallace '03, Kristen Parkinson '04, Adil Ahmad '05, Jedidiah Sorokin-Altmann '05, John Raser '01 DMS '05, Dan Hui '05 and Gary Maslow '00 DMS '04 were tapped for this year's award.

Wallace was awarded for her involvement in organizing the first All-Ivy Native American Student Conference held this February. Michael Hanitchak, director of Dartmouth's Native American Program, praised Wallace's individual initiative in the

Parkinson was honored for her involvement with the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and for her work in the surrounding community, where she organized a student-athlete mentoring program for "at risk" students at Thetford Elementary School.

Ahmad and Sorokin-Altmann were awarded for creating the Dartmouth Civil Liberties Union, while Raser was recognized for his involvement with the Dartmouth chapter of Physicians for Human Rights over the past year. Meanwhile, Hui was named a recipient of a Dean of the College award for his efforts on the Collis Center Programming Board to enrich extracurricular student life, and Gary Maslow was honored for his involvement with the Steps Toward Adult Responsibility program, where he worked to facilitate greater understanding within local communities of adolescents who suffer chronic illnesses.

The Ranny B. Cardozo, Jr. Award -- established in 1978 in honor of Cardozo's academic enthusiasm, concern for classmates and participation in campus and community activities -- was awarded to 2005 Class Council president Sabrina Singh '05.

Previous Cardozo award recipient and chair of its current selection committee Donald Jolly '04 said Singh was chosen for her efforts toward fostering campus-wide unity through her involvement with the '05 Class Council and the Milan South Asian cultural society.

The Dartmouth Ski Patrol received the Milton Sims Kramer 1954 Memorial Group Award for the satisfactory manner in which the organization handled incidents at the Dartmouth Skiway during the winter season. The award is given annually to the campus organization that contributes the most to the College, in terms of dedication of service to the community.

COSO awarded four campus organizations for their outstanding contribution to the Dartmouth community this year. The Dartmouth Civil Liberties Union and Women in Business were recognized for Best Organizational Leadership, SoulScribes was recognized as the Best New Group, and the Dartmouth Asian Organization Asian Americana play was named the Best Event.

Additionally, the Coed Fraternity Sorority office and the Order of Omega presented their annual awards to Dartmouth Greek societies, commending them on a variety of issues, from academic achievement to physical plant maintenance. Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority was awarded the O'Connor Award this year, an all-encompassing award given for outstanding scholarship, leadership, service, inclusiveness and accountability.

Leaders of the Greek community were also recognized for their dedication; chief among that group were the Greek Man and Woman of the Year, awarded to John Turner '04 of Gamma Delta Chi fraternity and Meredith Liu '04 of Delta Delta Delta sorority, respectively.