Women's rush begins today

The first night of the 11-day sorority rush process is slated to begin tonight, with a remarkably high 90 women registered, following a winter rush period which saw almost 40 women drop out.

Last year, 73 women initially rushed, with only 11 dropping out before the end of the process. In 2002's spring rush, approximately 65 women registered and 20 dropped out.

Panhellenic Council President Krista Sande-Kerback '05 said the high number of winter dropouts may have accounted for the spike in spring rush numbers.

"A bunch of people dropped out who just were not ready to join a house last round, but a lot of those people are coming back," Sande-Kerback said.

She also pointed out that the '05 class is larger than the '06 class.

Changes in sorority rush customs might have also contributed to this term's higher numbers.

Last year, winter rushees who dropped out during the process where told that rushing houses in the spring would be difficult. Spring rushees needed to explain why they were rushing in the spring rather than the winter, Sande-Kerback said. While "not a rule set in stone," it was generally followed. This year, sorority houses have scraped those practices.

"It was much more intensive process," she explained. "They made it very clear to girls that dropped out in the winter that they wouldn't get bids in the spring. I guess we wanted to learn from the winter and do a little more active recruiting."

According to Panhell Vice-President of Recruitment Meredith Willsen '05, spring rushees are a mix of sophomores who were off campus last term, girls that dropped out of the winter rush process, and even several '05s, which she said was unusual.

The Panhellenic Council expects roughly 15 rushees to drop out at some point during the process this year, leaving 75 girls signing bid cards on Preference night. Almost every girl who goes to Preference night will receive a bid from at least one house, according to Willsen. In fact, only one girl who went to Preference night did not receive a bid last year.

The maximum number of bids a house can offer is determined by the quota number, which is approximately the total number of rushees divided by the six houses in the Panhellenic Council. This year, that maximum is roughly 15. The system, while balancing the number of bids among the houses, limits houses from admitting as many women

Last spring, Alpha Xi Delta sorority gave out nine bids, Delta Delta Delta sorority, Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, and Sigma Delta sorority all gave out 10, and Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority gave out 12.

Tonight and Saturday night is the first round of rush, in which all rushees visit each house. Sororities then invite girls back to Round Two, which will take place next Wednesday and Thursday. Preference night will be next Monday night, when girls sign bid cards at up to two houses. Girls who sign bid cards may not rush again for an entire year.

Round zero, which consisted of arts projects in Silsby and the Rockefeller Center, has been discontinued by sororities.

Erica Steger '06 and Alexandra Stein '06 are both looking forward to rushing this term. They both said the process will provide them an opportunity to meet new people.

"I hope to meet many new people and anticipate a fun introduction to this yet-to-be-explored corner of Dartmouth life," Stein said.