Formula racing team model a finalist in design contest

The Dartmouth formula racing team was recently named a finalist in the 2004 Parametric Technology Corporation Awards Contest for a computer model of their race car.

The team is currently one of five finalists in the transportation category. The winner will be chosen via online voting on the PTC website.

Experts within the engineering community chose the finalists from the hundreds of entries in this year's contest. Entries were chosen based on innovation, complexity, aesthetics and overall use of the software in the product development process.

The team used Pro/ENGINEER, a software design program manufactured by PTC, to create a computer model of every component of the formula racing car. Thayer Engineering School student Scott Lish '03 led the design team.

Team captain and Thayer student Ariel Diaz '02 said this year's model is "the most complete we've ever had." The team prioritized modeling because it completely redesigned last year's car. A detailed model helps the team check for inconsistencies in the car's new design.

The team began redesigning the car last May and started building the frame and suspension from the ground up in the summer. Eighteen students writing senior theses in engineering began modeling the car's components in the fall, and the team first tested the car on the road during spring break in Texas, said team leader and Thayer student David Blindheim '03.

The racing team consists of 40 undergraduate and graduate engineering students. Team leaders and students writing theses spend between 40 and 50 hours each week working on the car.

Six team members will drive the car in the formula racing car competition organized by the Society of Automotive Engineers. Cars from over 140 schools worldwide will compete in the event, which takes place from May 19 to 23 in the parking lot of the Silverdome in Pontiac, Mich. The race is the most prestigious university racing car competition.

The racing team's car finished seventh in 2001 and 18 in last year's contest. The team hopes to finish in the top five this year, Blindheim said.

The team will showcase their car on May 9 from 1 to 3 p.m. on Tuck Mall.

Voting is currently taking place at PTC's website http://www.ptc.com/go/awards.