FNR turns Fuel from punch line to 'kick-ass'

A typical visual survey of the basement of Collis does not incite enthusiastic praise from most Dartmouth students. There's a girl using the ATM machine and here's an '07 lazily gazing up at "Everybody Loves Raymond." Lone Pine is anything but raucous and 8-Ball Hall, while almost continually full, isn't exactly pumping full of energy either. And most of the time, the lights are down in Fuel. Yippee.

But check it out on a Friday night and the goings-on in Fuel might come as a surprise. While many students are planning their frat route, starting to primp for the upcoming evening or practicing their pong swing, a regular crowd of about 100 or so students is gathering in Fuel. It's too early to hit the Row, but down in Fuel, kids are rocking out to original campus-based rock bands in an intimate setting, while enjoying the company of fellow music-loving students and the much-appreciated draw of free beer.

What is this tiny oasis in the vast wasteland of Collis-basement boredom? It's Friday Night Rock: making Friday night pregaming ever so passe.

In a nutshell, Friday Night Rock grew out of the ideas of Mat Brown '05, who, inspired by last year's 99 Rock-sponsored Battle of the Bands that took place in Fuel, met with administrators in Student Activities about booking campus bands in the school-sponsored dance club. Don Stewart '06 got on board and so was born Friday Night Rock.

And this particular upcoming Friday promises to be even more exciting than usual as Fuel plays host to Friday Night Rock's end-of-the-term blowout show. Bringing back all the on-campus bands that have been previously showcased for one mega-musical evening, this Friday's rock exposition promises to be something special.

All the on-campus bands that have previously played Friday Night Rock (read: all the bands who have played minus the Boston-based group Charlene) will return for this one big night. Fashion Fashion! and Oh No Dinosaur will be playing their signature indie pop rock, while Husky Dave, which has been a presence on campus for almost four years, will bring its upbeat pop punk style to the show. Shiny Sound, an acoustic folk rock duo, adds a new dimension to the musical conglomeration of the final event, and the night will be capped-off by a hip-hop jam session by Reaction Speaks, who will keep going until someone says stop.

But who ever knew that indie rock shows in the deserted college discotheque could get this big?

"At first, people came because they were curious," says Patrick Lynch '06, a fan of FNR. "I was skeptical that this would work as well as it did. It's been really sweet to see the same faces every week."

Indeed, FNR draws over 100 students each week, and many of them keep returning to shows. "A kind of scene has developed," said Stewart. "It's a chance to see kick-ass loud music that you wouldn't see in the frats."

This is potentially the real strength that FNR has developed over this past term. Not only does it offer students a place to experience live indie rock performed by their fellow students, but it gives many campus-based groups, who are often snubbed by frats in favor of more danceable music, a venue to showcase their work. Stewart admitted that his goal in having Friday Night Rock is simply "music for the sake of music," and is looking to bring in all kinds of musicians and help those who have nowhere else to go.

Besides a scene of devoted fans though, a scene of its own has developed backstage as well. Not only have all the bands bonded over the institution that is FNR, but even the students who are working behind the scenes have become a part of the FNR family. Stewart approximates that there are about 15 people involved behind the scenes that are just as important to FNR as the bands that play.

One of the more exciting developments that has occurred over this past term though is that the word about FNR has spread outside the confines of the Dartmouth campus. "There have definitely been people outside of Dartmouth who've heard about Friday Night Rock," said serious fan Brendon Bouzard '06. Stewart reiterates this idea, "There's a lot of interest coming from the local and regional communities." In fact, the FNR team has received demos from several bands in the surrounding areas. This spring they will be looking to incorporate more outside bands while still keeping FNR grounded in the college scene by having campus bands either headline or open every show.

Friday Night Rock currently has a structure in place to run through the summer of 2006, but for the moment, the end-of-the-term bash that starts this Friday at 9 p.m., is enough to get all those involved excited. "It seems to me that there was a pent-up demand for rock [on campus]," says Lynch. But members of FNR are hopeful that this Friday's performance and all those to follow will satiate that demand.