S&S, police outline alcohol regulations

College and Hanover Police Department officials held an information session Tuesday evening to explain alcohol laws and regulations and try to dispel student confusion about the subject.

Captain Frank Moran of the Hanover Police Department, Director of Safety and Security Proctor Harry Kinn and Director of Undergraduate Student Affairs Marcia Kelly spoke at the event, held Tuesday at Sigma Delta sorority.

The event's main purpose was to educate students on their rights regarding alcohol, in an effort to create more "informed consumers," as Kinne jokingly termed it.

A major concern for many students in attendance was the state's relatively new internal possession law.

The New Hampshire underage drinking law was broadened last year to include alcohol present in the body under the category of "possession of alcohol." Alcohol possession is measured by either obvious intoxication or a .02 blood alcohol content. A .02 BAC can result from a little as one and a half beers consumed in a one-hour period.

If asked to take a breathalyzer, though, students can refuse without penalty, Moran said. If a test is refused, police need to rely on the more subjective intoxication measure.

"I don't know how to define intoxication, but I know it when I see it," Moran said, referencing former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart's definition of hard-core pornography.

Students also inquired about the College's so-called "Good Samaritan" policy, which allows students or organizations to call medical assistance for an intoxicated individual without incurring punishment. Kelly pointed out that repeated or flagrant use of the policy would result in College action but called such instances unlikely.

"It's not that easy to be picked up by S&S four times," Kelly said.

She also added that while not necessary, it is a good idea to invoke Good Samaritan when calling Safety and Security.

The legal separation between the College and the police can sometimes create inconsistencies that confuse students. For instance, the College's Good Samaritan policy doesn't apply to state law. Because the police will accompany any ambulance call, a student may be charged with internal possession by Hanover Police but not receive a reprimand from the College.

A similar separation exists between the medical facility at Dick's House and Safety and Security. If a student is intoxicated and requires medical attention, there would be no penalty, so long as a sober driver transported the intoxicated student himself or herself to Dick's House.

Although Kinne admitted that Dick's House doesn't communicate "squat" with Safety and Security, he noted that his offices are located next door to Dick's House. Additionally, if Dick's House is full, or an ambulance is necessary, the student may receive police and College reprimands.

The panelists addressed the relations and communication between Safety and Security and the police department. Moran and Kinne confirmed that the police department and Safety and Security do monitor each other's transmissions.

They stressed however, that the police department would only involve themselves without a request if a true emergency in taking place.

"The police department and Safety and Security are totally separate, even though they are listening to each other," Kelly said.

The discussion underscored the importance of seeking medical attention for a sick student rather than worrying about the consequences from the College or the police. It was agreed that the worst consequence of drinking is deciding to drive when intoxicated.

Fortunately for Dartmouth students, 17-year veteran Moran conceded that students have a respectful relationship with the police, which he said does not exist at other colleges in the state.