Shot dog found on Hanover town line

The Hanover Police Department is investigating the shooting of a dog found seriously wounded in a snow bank Tuesday afternoon.

A passerby found the male German shepherd on Tunis Road, located in the eastern part of Hanover near the Canaan town line. The dog had a bullet lodged in its head.

The dog was soon transferred to the Lyme Veterinary Clinic, where veterinary staff later had it put down. They extracted the bullet and turned it over to Hanover Police to assist in the investigation.

The dog lacked information identifying its owner, and Hanover Police officials are still probing the details of the shooting.

Police reports described the dog as full-grown male who appeared to be well cared-for. They speculated it may have been lying in the snow bank for more than 24 hours.

Police were unable as of late Tuesday afternoon to identify the passerby who found the dog.

Shootings of domestic animals are not common in Hanover, police officials said.

"As far as I can remember, it's never happened before," Hanover Police dispatcher Timothy Goodwin said.

The police are encouraging anyone with information about the identity of the dog's owner or the circumstances of the shooting to contact the Hanover Police Department.