Mann '05 presents West Bank memories

Few Jews -- other than those in the Israeli army -- willingly enter Palestinan cities in the West Bank these days. They know it is dangerous turf.

But for Sean Mann '05, living in the Palestinian city of Nablus for a month Fall term was a "necessary part of understanding what's going on" in that part of the world.

"The entirety of the complex nature of [the Arab-Israeli] conflict must be paid attention to," Mann said, encouraging Americans to try to understand both perspectives.

Mann volunteered in the fall of 2003 for the non-profit Project Hope, an organization working to promote improve the lives of Palestinian youth growing up amid violence. He taught English to kids and young adults, and said he and his co-workers were showered with generosity.

"There is an open culture of neighborliness there," he said. "People are expected to show up at each other's houses unannounced, and give each other tea and sweets."

Mann was in Nablus during the Islamic holiday of Ramadan, when Muslims fast during daylight hours and then enjoy feasts with family and friends as the sun goes down.

"Especially during Ramadan, generosity is important," he said. "Our neighbors would stop by our house and drop off leftover chicken, or bring us olive oil."

Mann gave a slide show presentation Wednseday night in Collis Commonground, showing pictures of many of his students, co-workers and neighbors. He also showed pictures of the city and outlying villages, where markers of years of conflict are everywhere.

Some of the most evident markers were the separation barriers and checkpoints put up by the Israeli government. In some places the barriers consisted of ditches laced with razor wire -- in others, eight-meter concrete walls towered above buildings.

"The difficulty of travelling through the West Bank is the roads and the checkpoints," Mann said. "In some places, the roads are little more than donkey trails, rutted and decrepit."

It took him three hours to travel some 25 miles to Nablus over the dirt roads winding through olive groves in a multi-passenger taxi, Mann recalled, noting that he and his friends were alternately scared and amused, much to the annoyance of the other passengers.

Mann came to Nablus, where he lived in an outlying village, after three months of study and travel in Jerusalem. The 9,000 year-old city is home to many Biblical landmarks such as Jacob's well and is known for its distinctive sweets and soaps.

Many walls in the city are covered with posters depicting innocents and militants who have been killed in the conflict. Many are youth and children who happened to be nearby when others were throwing rocks at soldiers.

Project Hope volunteers like Mann worked at the Happy Childhood Center, teaching English and promoting non-violence.