'06 accident highlights safety on Skiway slopes

When Christina Porter '06 ended up in the intensive care unit at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center following a ski accident at the Dartmouth Skiway, her parents called for improved safety at the College-run facility.

Skiway personnel defended the area's safety infrastructure, despite recent questions raised by Porter's accident.

The ski center always has at least four patrollers on duty and the number of active patrollers climbs to accommodate large turnouts, according to Skiway Director Douglas Holler.

"We typically have more than enough patrollers on site," Holler said.

Students who visit the Skiway regularly agreed.

"There are always people watching out for you," said Stephanie Kronenberg '07.

The Skiway -- which can accommodate up to 1,600 skiers -- typically reports over 100 accidents per year. Injuries range from knee bruises to more serious accidents, Holler said.

People who sustain injuries on the slopes are treated at the accident site by patrollers. Then, the injured are taken down to the Skiway base, where they receive additional treatment at a the health center.

If an injury is too serious for the Skiway to deal with, accident victims are taken to DHMC.

"We take our patients very seriously," Holler said.

Celeste Griffin-Churchill '07 agreed. She broke her leg at the Skiway over two weeks ago and said she the staff handled her accident well.

"I had a good experience being treated there," Griffin-Churchill said.

Griffin-Churchill broke her leg when she tripped over a root on a forest trail. Ski patrollers located her within minutes and skied her down the mountain on a sled.

"Their response was really quick," Griffin-Churchill said.

At the mountain base, Griffin-Churchill's leg was examined. It was placed in a splint, and she was taken to DHMC for further treatment.

Griffin-Churchill and other students who visit the Skiway regularly said ski patrol supervision is more than adequate.

"I see them all of the time," Griffin-Churchill said. "There are definitely plenty of them around."

Kronenberg, who participates in an introductory skiing class through the physical education department, said that the College runs a very safe ski class.

Porter's injury occurred during one such class. After Dartmouth ski patrol members brought her down the mountain, she was airlifted to DHMC.

Before ski P.E. classes, students must sign statements that waive the College of liability for any ski accident that is not a result of faulty equipment rented from Dartmouth.

"The PE people don't let you go down the mountain until you know the fundamentals," Kronenberg said.

Kronenberg also said that the Skiway's facilities are very well maintained.

"The trails are well groomed," Kronenberg said, "and the chairs are really easy to get on and off of."