Fall OAC violations spike from last year

The Organizational Adjudication Committee investigated more student groups for violations of College policy over the Fall term than during the entire previous academic year, according to a recently released report.

The OAC held hearings on 20 incidents last term, up from an average of around five incidents per term during the last school year and three incidents per term during the 2001-2002 year. In all, 10 organizations -- including the Dartmouth Outing Club, the Ledyard Canoe Club and six Greek organizations -- were subject to disciplinary measures during the term.

Undergraduate Judicial Affairs Director Marcia Kelly expressed uncertainty as to the reason for the high number of discipline cases. However, Kelly speculated that the "maturation of the OAC system" may be partly responsible for the recent figures.

"The OAC has been in place now for two years, so we have developed all the kinds of routines and procedures to be as consistent as we can possibly be on following up on information that comes to us," Kelly said. "I think that's part of it, but it certainly doesn't explain the significant change."

Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Bones Gate fraternities received the most severe punishments for alleged violations of College policy last term, as they were declared subject to eight weeks and 18 weeks of social probation, respectively. The majority of cases the OAC examined involved violations of alcohol or social event policies.

Fall term also marked the first time the OAC considered sanctions against a non-social organization. The DOC received a warning for "threatening harm" and "threatening safety and security of students," and Ledyard was warned for holding an unregistered social event.

Alpha Delta, Chi Gamma Epsilon, Chi Heorot and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternities received warnings or short periods of social probation for alleged infractions. The OAC also placed Sigma Delta sorority on a short period of social probation and reprimanded the Griffen Senior Society.

The OAC acquitted student organizations accused in five of the 20 cases. By comparison, two of the 19 cases that the OAC reviewed in the last academic year resulted in verdicts of "not responsible." Four of 12 cases in the 2001-2002 academic year resulted in no sanctions.