Computers stolen from dorm room

A burglar broke into a two-room triple in Russell Sage mid-morning Friday, stealing three laptops, assorted consumer electronics and $250 in cash.

The room's three freshmen residents said they believed their door was locked before the robbery but that one resident lost his keys on the day of the incident.

"I think either I dropped them on the way out of the room or maybe someone stole them during the day," Chris Polashenski '07 said.

Safety and Security and the Hanover Police Department are both investigating the incident, although Hanover Police Chief Nick Giaccone said there are no suspects in the crime and no leads at the moment.

Polashenski said authorities estimated there was a 10 to 15 percent chance the stolen items would be recovered.

Giaccone called "this type of burglary" a rare occurrence, and declined to speculate on whether the thief was a student.

Safety and Security officials noted that while computer theft is not unheard of at the College, most thievery involves a smaller monetary loss and occurs in unlocked areas.

"It's more usual to have theft from a locker room or a common room, generally of a wallet or money," Safety and Security Investigator Richard Gavell said.

Police reportedly dusted the room for fingerprints over the weekend.

Hanover Police and Safety and Security are conducting parallel inquiries into the theft, Gavell said, although the police are the "primary investigating agency" in the crime.