Assembly drops search for mascot

In its first meeting since Homecoming weekend, the Student Assembly announced plans to drop its current mascot search project after surveys indicated only limited student support for the moose.

Later in the meeting, Student Body President Janos Marton '04 expressed his personal support for Keggy the Keg, the Jack-O-Lantern-created mascot debuted at the Homecoming football game.

The Assembly recently polled the student body to gauge their support for the moose, following other surveys which narrowed down many mascot suggestions to one candidate. The results of the final poll indicated that roughly 40 percent would support the moose, with the remainder opposing it.

Stella Treas '05, who headed the mascot search, informed Assembly members that the project will be discontinued, though all information gathered will be submitted to alumni representatives. The Assembly will not endorse the moose in its report, Treas said, citing the insufficient student backing.

Toward the end of the meeting, Keggy himself appeared. Marton introduced him, reminding the Assembly of Keggy's appearance at the Homecoming football game. Marton also shared his concern about the "flak" the mascot has received from College administrators.

Marton held up a sheet of paper in front of the Assembly and stated that he would like to unofficially endorse Keggy as a mascot, while encouraging other members to do the same.

"I'm hopefully going to be the first person to unofficially endorse Keggy," Marton said, signing his name to the paper. "I hope you come to the rest of the home football games," he told the mascot.

During the open forum, Student Body Vice President Noah Riner '06 discussed other events during Homecoming. He reiterated concerns that he and others had about excessive use of force by Safety and Security over the weekend.

"During the bonfire, you can understand the minimal use of force, that's sort of understandable," Riner said. "At the homecoming football game, there seemed to be an excessive use of force. One student who rushed the field was clothes-lined and head-locked by a police officer."

Riner also voiced his concern over administrators' dealings with undergraduates in legal trouble.

"Another student, who ended up rushing the field, turned himself in as a matter of conscience. The administration, instead of applauding this act of conscience ... which we feel they should have done, they abused it," he said.

Another concern of Riner's was the ability of Safety and Security to view surveillance footage of the football game and arrest students afterward for rushing the field.

"Todd [Rabkin Golden '06] is looking into the surveillance, the video taping is unnerving to some students... The last thing we want to do is deal with people who think we are guilty until proven innocent," Riner said.

During the meeting, the Assembly also passed two resolutions. The first allocated $900 to buy incentives that would help increase the use of Student Assembly Course Guides. The other gave $1500 for the proposed Profiles in Excellence award, which consists of a dinner to honor an outstanding faculty member at the College.